1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Build-up on plow blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eclipselawn, Dec 20, 2006.

1. eclipselawn

eclipselawn Junior Member

How do you prevent build-up of ice and snow on the plow blade? I get enough build-up that it decresses my plows efectiveness to windrow.

2. payton

payton Senior Member

keep your blade nice and waxed..

also i keep a dead blow hammer in my truck i can smack the plow with from time to time if need be.

but give it a good thick wax job. works wonders

3. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Fluid Film

4. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I use Automotive Paste Wax. I usually put on 2-3 coats at the beginning of the season and don't have to do it again the rest of the year.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Wax. And carry a short piece of 1"x4".

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K Member
    from NJ

I put crisco on all our plows

7. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I agree FLUID FILM. The last snowfall we had was very heavy. Then with the dropping tmeratures we were plowing wet slush that would freeze on the blades of a lot of truck.

I had the chance to Fluid-Film coat 3 of our plows.....WOW. Huge difference.

It really helps to keep your plow smooth. Get it blasted and painted or keep it smooth. I like the plastic skins but I'm not happy with durability.

8. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I use silicon spray lube, and only have to spray it a couple times a season... works great, little effort, and cost effective

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do you store our plow in side?
    If you do give it a few minutes to cool off before you use it.

To knock of snow or ice that has built up on the plow, raise it all of the way up and then hit flote and let it hit the ground a couple of times. This will knock off the snow with out getting out and beating your plow.

If you choose to beat it off, carry a small sledge hammer. DO NOT pound on anything other than the cutting edge, other wise you will dent your plow.

You way need to adjust the fall rate of your plow until the desired rate is achieved.
    to soft, no effect, to hard and it's anoining (sp) when is slams down.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Try catching a curb or manhole at about 20 MPH, you'll be amazed.

I'll have to try the Fluid Film.

PS Is there a standard price on Fluid Film set by any regional powers that be? I don't want to get hosed when I buy some again.

11. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

My blade is galvanized steel, and snow rarely sticks to it.

12. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

I going to keep a can of cooking spray with me in the truck this year. A couple of people to spray down the plow with that when I am working.

13. spittincobra01

I used to use Pam cooking spray, but with heavy wet snow it would wear off quickly. I'm tellin you guys, I really like the silicon spray lube. It worked great and lasted up to 8-10 hours

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've used Fluid Film and the silicone spray,I think they both work good. The silicone does seem to last slightly longer though.

15. spittincobra01

I would like to edit my last post, but the darn edit link disappeared on me... It should have read 8-10 storms, not hours. Don't know where my head was on that one lol. All you need to do is apply a hearty coating while the plow is dry, and having a smooth surface will help significantly. If it's rusty at all, just put a couple coats of paint on it then the lube. (luckily, mine is still very smooth... gotta love powder coating)

16. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Mark...I have been using Fluid Film since It came on the market...We now buy It by the pail...If you have alot of equipment... the way to aplly It is...get a gadget that hooks to the air compressor and run the clear plastic tube In the pail...and coat everything on the plow. Our farm equipment also gets treated with Fluid Film. One of the reasons I like it Here on the farm...Is because It has No solvents In It.
    All In AllTry It on your blade...Its easy and Its efective.:nod:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  17. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I've used wax, it works ok, I've used silicone spray it works better for shorter periods, like a couple storms then needs to be reapplied. The best so far is called speedy brite, it is a tire spray used by detailers, it goes on clear and lasts, it's so slick nothing sticks, but again it needs to be reapplied often. A friend gave me a can of straight liquid teflon, I will try that this year, if not happy I'll be back to speedy brite.

18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have used Pam and Silicone spray, they both wear off before I finished 1 driveway!!

When the paint wears off I paint the plow with Imron Paint. The paint is fantastic.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  19. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Rough set price by Fluid film is $8-8.50 per can. Should get a 10% discount if you buy it by the case though.

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How much are you paying for a pail, how much is in it and where did you get it? Here a spray can is $12 and I found a 4 litre container for $37 ( I thought that was good), they were at Carquest.

Thanks