1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Build or Buy Liquid Unit

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hiranger, Sep 26, 2008.

1. hiranger

hiranger Member

I am trying to decide whether to build a liquid deicing unit or buy a premade unit. My second question is a gas powered unit better than a electric powered unit? I am located in
    Illinois and bulk salt is hard to come by. Looking to incorporate liquids into my setup. Any help would be appreciated.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i can build one for around 500 depending on ur specs and tank size... i personally will be using electric, gas is expensive,

3. hiranger

hiranger Member

I was thinking between 200-300 gallon. Electric would be fine as long as you could get enough volume to do the job. I am down in Peoria. I would like to have a setup that I could have pretty much calibrated so when it came time to treat I wouldn't have to tweak it.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

eletric will do the job

5. hiranger

hiranger Member

What do you think the best setup is ?

6. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

What type of pump would you use gpm and psi I am looking at a 12 v 3.8 gpm at 65psi is that ok or should it be bigger,

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

well it depends, if you look in previous threads that myself , PJ, and other wrote

you need to be atleast 5 gpm, at a min then ill tell you this , if your going to use acctual spray nozzels, (which id highly recommend) with the diaphram in them , you need to have about 3 of those pumps, with stream nozzels every 10 inches apart, you can do it with two , but will have so low pressure that they will not spray correctly, unless you have that third pump in there , i tried it jsut with water, form what i understand spraying cal will be hard yet

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  8. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Are you charging 500 for the unit or for your labor? What brand pump makes 5gpm? I have looked at flow jet but their biggest one is 4.?gpm. Why would you need three pumps and how would they be plumbed, inline one after another or one pump to one or two spray nozzles.
    Thanks
    Adam

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

5 GPM-Flojet Quad II Automatic 12 Volt DC, 45 PSI, Self Priming Demand Water Pumps are designed for a wide range of applications and are constructed from a selection of materials suitable for handling a broad range of products.

kingpumps_2019_8006762.gif

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

no im not charging 500 for labor, im not in the business of making ppl sprayer setups. i beleive i have done enough researce, along with PJ and a few others help :help:

that i can build myslf a unit for around 500, now this doesnt include any labor, most of it is stuff i have laying around, and i dont need a huge tank , 100-200 gals should do me , to start with as a trial.

If anyone is interested, i might be willing to help with a similar set up, and you should send me a pm

11. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Does the liquid salt really work better than treated or traditional ice control salt? I ask because I looked at possibly doing a set up but all the reps in my area that I talked to could not give me a start up cost, etc. What does it take to undertake something like this? What kind of bulk storage containers do you need?

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

its getting pretty late in the season, and no offense but , if you are asking these kinda questions this late in the season, your probalby better off just staying on the dry side.... Pj , or metro might give out some more info , and proably know more than i do in the subject , im just learning, but looked into it last year , and experimented with it last year with the help of a friend... JMO

13. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

no wait untill the snow starts to fall them ask your self " do you feel lucky? ":gunsfiring:

14. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Presure

Thanks Metro
    I am getting all of my parts together. Now all i need is a reliable supplier.

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Set up this year would be out of the question but the thought and theory behind the liquid salt is what I was interested in last winter so I tried to contact supppliers and what not but I all I got were fancy brochures and big packets of crap. None of them seemed to want to answer my main question, what is set up costs going to be like? What are maintenance costs like? Those sort of questions are what I was looking to have answered.

16. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

Talk to Metro

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

setup invoved....

a liquid spray unti for your truck , could be from 500 to well over 4000 depends on your needs, and if your willing to set it up your self.

you need a holding tank of some kind.... or you can buy it in drums or totes, but its very price that way.

maintenance involved - basicly just like spraying herbicide... keep yorui nozzels clean , rinse it out when your done... i plan on running RV anit freeze thru the pump after use , to clean a relubricate it...

theres proablyl less maintenance involved with this type of set up than using a V box spreader.... the donw side is, from what im told , liquids are limited in there use, and cost effectiveness at times...

i know metro is claiming good luck , and great 99% of the time, but he is the only one i have heard that from. I have heard is great to pretreat parking lots, great to pre teate salt., Dont use on Ice stroms as youd be wasting money , and will not melt more than 1 inch , or so alot of ppl have told me.