1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Build me a truck!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snow-mott, Feb 4, 2004.

1. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

So...we're needing a replacement/additional plow/work truck at work. Until now we've been using f250 diesels with flatbeds...but they're crap and they break down at least once during each storm. So we're to the point of going a different direction. Me being a chevy fan i suggested a GM truck and with me being able to work on gasoline engines...i suggested NOT a diesel, heh.

We have found a base truck to work off of.

1994 chevy K2500 with the 350 and automatic. reg cab, long bed. High mileage but with a newer engine.

Here's what i need...stuff that should be replaced right off the bat just to be safe I.E. U-joints...fluids...whatever.

Secondly what would you change about the suspension, chassis, transmission? I was thinking trimbrens or air bags in the front...add'a'leafs and timbrens in the back. Upgrade the charging/ignition/starting systems...if gearing is not where i'd like then put in 4.10 gears and limited slip in the rear. possibly get a higher stall torque converter and rebuild the transmission with better bands and such. get a headache guard and a truck bed spray in liner.

Ultimately i'd like to have an onboard compressorand air tank so we can change tires and blades at the truck. but who wouldn't.

I have about $2500 to play with to fix the truck up to make a good plow truck that we'll have a western 7'6 standard plow on with "possibly" a v-box spreader, more likely a tail gate spreader with a 2500 lb pallet in the back...we will use it during the summer to pull a 20 foot trailer with 2 walker mowers on it, as well.:D

thanks for any suggestions.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

What year are your diesels? I've never had problems with mine.:confused:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

About the only week spot on that truck that i know about is make sure you check out real good around the gear box. They are prone to rust out rite there...Rob

4. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

we have a 84 with the 6.9

and a 93 with the 7.3

5. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

Does the truck your looking at have the C6P package- 8 lug axles, bigger trans(4L80 e vs 4l60e), oil cooling couple other HD items. Check the glove box build sheet. If you post the build option numbers from the glove box I think I have the codes someplace.

Check the front axle CV joints and boots, check the rear axle - tube to pumpkin , most were semi floating axles(big blocks got full floating IIRC). 3.73s or 4.10s. I wouldnt change to 4.10s with the 3.73s not worth the cost. Shouldnt be a big deal running 245 or 265's
    Timbrens on the front and a 8' plow you will be good to go- 7-6 will have you tracking your rear wheels in the windrows on corners. The HD 2500 shouldnt have a problem with the v-box, but with age and mileage new spring packs or an extra leaf may be worthwhile.
    If its a 6 lug Light duty I would shy away- it will do it, but its going to cost a bunch of cash to bring it up to what you want to do with it.

6. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

truck

ok based on what you said about needs you should buy a RAM DIESEL and never have another problem.....................

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i know every one likes the timbrens but there is nothing better than air bags in the rear. the first thing i do is put air bags on the rear of all of my equipment. 1976 chevy 3/4ton flatbed with boss vplow and sander it ways 7 tons with a load of salt. the guy before me used to snap leaf springs. so first thing i did was put ir bags on it and set them at 80 psi works great. my 97 suburban has a 8' ultra mount pro plow. and i haul a skidsteer, on it i have the air bags plus a on board compressor with gauge. when not towing the skidsteer i leave the bags at 20psi when i load it i rase up to 75psi doesn't even sag. 2004 chevy 2500hd ordered for next year and i will put air bags on it witrh a compressor

8. GPB

GPB Member

We have basicly the same truck at work that we use as a plow truck. 94 k2500HD reg cab 350 auto. This has been a real good truck for us. 180,000+ miles and all we've replaced is a head gasket and an alternator. I have noticed the factory alternator is a little on the weak side for plowing. If you do alot of tight plowing where your motor dosent get a chance to rev, with the heat on high, it can run your battery down. Other than that, no complaints.