1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Build code R9F

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by abbert55, Mar 18, 2008.

1. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Help... I have a '96' GMC K2500HD and need to know what exactly the R9F RPO code is. The print out says GMC 'tap in', natural gas vehicle. Does this mean that the truck could be set up for nat gas or is there something different about the computer to be used for dual fuel? I would appreciate any help in this.
    Thanx, Al

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I can't recall R9F as having to do with NG or LPG Al... seems to me it was some type of market specific RPO of some sort.

Like for Budget rent-a-car or U-haul, that type of thing. Every large purchaser (volume wise) of vehicles has there own specific GM RPO code. Most even have their own paint codes for their specific corporate colors.

3. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Hey thanx B&B, I was sure you could shed some light on this. I know the truck was Canada built with US specs. Can you tell me what would be involved in making it dual fuel. I believe you must have a seperate computer to handle the propane side? Thanx again, Al

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The duel fuel trucks were somewhat of their own breed. More so with the '96-up Vortec trucks. The engines themselves were actually a different p/n for DF.

In order to set it up with all factory components it would take a sizable investment for it to all work like GM intended. You'd be much further ahead to look into one of the aftermarket "conversion" kits that are on the market. There isn't a ton of them out there due to emissions requirement variations but there are some on the market. Searching on the net would probably find you some results.

Just to forewarn you on the cost though, conversions can cost in excess of $5000 to be done correctly.

Takes a lot of NG/LPG to recoup the investment.

5. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Thanks for all the advice B&B, I've tried to do a search for conversions with no luck. Oh well, back to the drawing boardussmileyflag

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Al what was your reason behind the idea of running NG on this truck? Do you have easy access to it or, a good price? Just curious.