1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buddy plowing circles around me

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bobcat s-160, Dec 28, 2013.

1. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

I can't figure this one out, I have a f-350 diesel,buddy has a 2500 gas both reg cabs and he can out push me by quite a bit. I don't plow much, I only have a 7.6 straight boss plow, a 7.6 on a f-350 I shouldn't hardly know its up there.
    I don't know for sure what brand of plow my buddy has, he just got it.
    He can just keep pushing and all I do is spin. I have my trip springs adjusted so a business card will slide through the coils. I had the shoes on since we were on gravel driveway.
    Is there anything anyone can think of that would make the plow push harder than it should?
    Neither trucks had any weight in the box, something just doesn't seem right here.
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Engage your 4wd.
    Do you have wore out all season tires?
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

He probably has better tires.
  4. bobcat s-160

from MI

Trust me 4wd is engaged, front tires are spinning.
    New MT's Picture 008.jpg

He has was looks like just an all season/street tire nothing that looks aggressive

Picture 008.jpg
  5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

There's your problem. Those tires are mud tires. Garbage. Get a set of bona fide all season tires.
  6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Gotta agree with sawboy here. Had a f150, lifted, 33's bfg m/t's that was great in the dirt but sucked in the snow.
  7. bobcat s-160

from MI

Is there an MT that is decent in both snow and mud? I do quite a bit of hauling livestock, and if anyone knows how most farms are, things can get pretty muddy. And I don't want to switch tires, I just want one set that are good for mud and snow, if there is such a thing.
  8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a second set of rims and mount some decent tires. That way you're not mounting / dismounting. Swap the assemblies in winter and spring and call it a day
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Years ago I ran sipped GY MTR's on my '00 PSD and they were great, without sipping the sucked. You should be able to take your truck to a tire shop and get them sipped for about $15.00 or so a piece.
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

First thing Why do you have a 7.6 on a F350 to start with ????
  11. Antlerart06

You may have limited slip and the Gm might have posi trac
  12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I was wondering the same....
  13. Antlerart06

I tell you a good one guy here has a F350 Dually crew cab with a 7.6 with no wings on it

You meet him on the Hwy his dually caps sticks out father then his plow does
  14. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Mud terrains are absolutely useless in the snow.. If you really need a tire that is good in the snow and also the mud, you really need two sets of tires for the truck.
  15. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

More Ballast
  16. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I'd say it's the tires
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't know what kind of plow your buddy has....I'd say it's the operator.
  18. bobcat s-160

from MI

I see that now! I will probably finish this year with'em then next year have another set of rims with other tires for snowplowing

This is what I'll do to get through this year.

Sure are! I see that now.

He just got the truck and plow the other day, when I was plowing with him it was dark so you couldn't even see the plow and I never stopped to find out. This morning I saw him going down the road with it, and its an older western
  19. bobcat s-160

from MI

I don't plow much, so I don't need anything bigger. Plus I got a heck of a deal on it. It covers the width of the truck, thinking of putting some boss wings on it.
  20. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

I have nitro trail grappler M/T and they are great in the snow. Sure their not as good as an all season siped tire but I have no complaints. I agree it's not the plow, I think it's the driver. He's probably pushing his truck a lot harder then you do for one, and 2 your motor is a lot heavier to start with, then you've got the plow weight... Without my plow on, if I have no weight in the bed of my 2500 cummins, I get no where in the snow, compared to if I put in some ballast. Put 500-600lbs in the bed you'll be golden.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013