1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buckets or Pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by River Hill, Dec 10, 2002.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

Yes I have searched and I do have some questions regarding buckets and pushers for a skid steer. From my reading of past posts, most people with skid steers are very happy with a 8' or 10' pushers. Do snow pushers stack snow well? From the looks of RCS, Avalanche, and Pro-Tech it looks like they push very well but would not be able to stack very well since the bottom is open. I could be wrong as I have never seen a pusher in action. Do all of these pushers have trip edges? It looks like the advantage of a snow pusher is you could clear larger areas than you could with a bucket. It looks like a bucket would do better in tight areas since you could carry the snow and stack it, since the bottom is closed, but you might not get such a clean surface? Also I have never seen a bucket with a trip edge.

I am still pondering the idea of using a skid steer. I have talked with a friend who does not do snow removal and owns one for his boat yard. I might be able to use it in the off season. I would like to get some advice on pusher or bucket for tight areas.

2. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Pusher

I am not a skidsteer guy but do run a couple loaders with homemade pushers mounted on front of the bucket.
    I have quick couplers made on them so the pusher can be removed in a couple minutes to do bucket work and both can be carried to each job.The pusher on a loader is extremely handy and can get in very tight areas it is so much faster than a bucket most of the time.
    Being on front of the bucket gives extra reach and makes stacking easy I can stack higher and faster with the pusher than the bucket.I have looked at a few factory made pushers and don't like the straight wings and skis on them it must be hard to follow a curb or cut through packed snow.
    I made my wings angle out 6" at the front so it has clearance at the back so I can clean perfectly up to a curb with the leading edge.Also I put cutting edges on the wings to scrape cleaner.By Flaring the wings out it also allows the wing bracing to be put on the outside so it will not hangup snow in sticky conditions the blade is much easier to keep clean.
    Hyperpack

3. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I like your idea of getting closer to the curb line. I have a place that likes clean curbs. That just might be the ticket. I would love to find a prduction piece like this.

4. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Pusher

I forgot to mention I do not have trip edges and no factory one I have seen do either.
    I think the wings of a factory pusher could be bent out to give clearance at the rear also I would get rid of the inside braces and skis.It would take most of a day to have a welding shop do this.
    Hyperpack

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Daniels has a pusher with a trip edge.
    And, stacking IS easier and better done with pushers on the front of any loader (skid steer included).

6. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I've got space to store snow at a 3 acre site I do. I have a home-made pusher on a John Deere green utility tractor. I make ramps out of the snow. Drive up pushing the snow up the ramp and backdrap down to compact. Highest ramp so far was about 30' up 60' long and 20' wide.

7. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

If I understand this correctly, I can stack snow with a snow pusher just like a bucket with a skid steer. So a snow bucket really has know advantage over a pusher?

If you were going to purchase a attachment for a skid steer, what would you purchase and why?

8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Snow buckets are good if you're loading snow into a truck.
    For stacking - the pusher moves more snow and can stack as good, or better (depending upon the operator) than the bucket.

9. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

It looks like a pusher is the way to go. Now with so many choices. Pro-Tech, RCS, Daniels, and Avalanche.

Then there is always the Blizzard 810SS?

10. captjack

captjack Member

Email me and we can discuss the pushers. I live on the shore but I am over in Baltimore everyday. I have an RCS 10FT you can go look at if you like.
    jack

captjack@starband.net

11. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

For those of you with boxplows, how are they for backdragging? Like away from doorways and loading docks and your usual backdragging needs. Can you leave a piece of equipment at a property with only a boxplow and do the work equivalent to a plow blade?