1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BS or not about plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by shelbymustang16, Feb 14, 2010.

1. shelbymustang16

shelbymustang16 Junior Member
    from Pa

I having a buddy who owns a landscaping business. During the winter he plows. He says he has contracts with a couple commercial accounts to plow. He states he has contracts of up 60,000 to plow for the season. Is this accurate, i dont plow but going to start next year. I figured if he made that much wouldnt everyone be plowing to make 60000 in 3 months?

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I would think so.

After all... ain't nothing to it anyway. :jester:

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

60,000 for a seasonal? Is he plowing an entire town?

5. deicepro

;) Yes, you are right, the snow business is easy and inexpensive:D

6. deicepro

My apologies for being a smart arse. I have one seasonal account ( insurance company ) that I charge over $100k for the seasonpayup

7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I would think your friend is pulling your chain a lot. Browse this site for the reality of plowing.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What does he have for equipment? That will give you a good idea of what he's making. It's not very hard to get a seasonal around here for 60k but that's for 5 months and we use a pile of salt.

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My contracts are Nov. through March. My two largest contracts are $9k and.$7k. Depending on how big his company is it may be possible. Next season I'm bidding on a lowes around $60k

10. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I worked for a company that mowed the lawn at a mall, and plowed the snow durring the winter. I only worked for them for 3 weeks, but I seen the bid he was sending out to the mall for snow plowing, and it was for $328,000, and he won the bid to plow

11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

he does it all by him self :laughing:.

yes it may be true . after equipment and labor he may make ??? . not to bad for 3 months of no sleep . after all its easy to plow and salt with no slip & falls .

12. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

kinda related do you get payed before or after the season on a seasonal? i am a sub so i dont know that much about it.

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I had a friend bid a similar type of scenario, all he saw was the total bid price and kept talking about all that money.....

quickly looking over the bid I said IF you don't have any breakdowns and its a light winter, you MIGHT break-even..... thankfully he didn't get the bid.

yes there are tons high dollar jobs out there OP, but it costs big money to afford those jobs, and those that are doing it have been in the biz for 30 years.

14. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Yes, it is very well possible for him to have a 60k contract.

But depending on the equipment you own and your over head, you might be making more money plowing driveways as he is on his "high dollar" contract.

Start plowing small lots and driveways for a couple of years, charge by the push. This way you get to know your true costs.

I have been plowing for 8 years and I know there are properties that are to big for me to handle (heck, allot of them are), I can get the equipment to handle any account in the country in a couple of days, with good credit and a rental company you can get anything you need..., that does not mean you can get the job done right...

We plow residential drives, private roads, small commercial and medium shopping malls, I have my hands full and am not comfortable taking on bigger, not right now, may next year, maybe not..., Oh and when you go bigger you better be prepared to live, eat and sleep snow, because it will be everyday (and night) for 5 months... My daughter had her 1 year birthday cake without me there last year, that still bothers me today...

The moral of my reply; Big jumps are deep falls. Slow and steady wins the race.
    60K might sound great, that does not mean that it is...

15. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

ya he might have got the bid for 60,000 but his expenses this winter could very well be 59,900. now he made a whole 100 bucks for 3 months work.

16. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

A midsized condo complex would be that price. Its not a rare thing.

17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm not familiar with seasonal types of contracts. I had no idea 60k could be one account.

18. TSherman

TSherman Member

If you do it right you can make $20,000 on a $60,000 contract with a little luck. Add in equipment failures, and things that you need to pay for that come up and you can lose money on it. Hell, if your investing just the $5000 for the plow you are taking a risk! Go slow and easy, work up to it and take a chance when you get an idea of what you are doing and how long it takes you to do it!

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Funny how some people see that somebody's accepted $60,000 bid means they made $60,000.:D The important number is what did they make after costs to do the work.

20. deicepro

Thats how my wife thinks it works:dizzy::laughing: