1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BS mpg

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EXR, Jan 12, 2011.

1. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I posted before about this but it angers me every time I hand caculate it.

Last 2 tanks under 8mpg plowing....

Every time I plow I'm gone for 12 hours and usually put on 75kms.

Its just sad..

2. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Are you really feeling bad about this? I once checked mine and it came out to .75 mpg!! I don't know what kind of plowing you are doing but, for me it's far better to check the gallons per hour- way more accurate for me. All of my plowing is in town- commercial lots. I usually get about 2.5 gph- I can live with that because I plow by the hour so it's easy to calculate my fuel costs out of my hourly rate.

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

You forgot to count your mileage in reverse also!! I have a 25 gallon tank, and to plow for 10 hours i use less than half a tank. I think it's decent, and it's waaaaayyy better than the gassers I compare it to

4. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

There's no way to calculate MPG's plowing because of all the reverse. Although I'm sure there's a genius on here somewhere that will disagree

5. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

I totally agree. I should have added that I only checked mine as a joke just to see how bad it would really be. I remember one night I had already plowed for many hours and hardly had any miles on yet.

6. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Thats one of those things I try not to get down on. Fill it up and go make money!!!

7. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Someone told me I shouldn't get an 8.1 because the mileage would be so bad- I said who gives a rip about mileage when you're plowing snow?

8. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I get 4-6mpg with all my f450's (which weigh 18k- 20k each)
    GPH is way less depressing

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well plow is terrible on gas.

Like my F250 that get 7 mpg plow until I swap 3.55 in axle now it 8.59-9.69 mpg. Those were my light foot and I don't plow hard with my personal truck.

Be happy you don't have big block engine they get 2-6 mpg plow snow.

10. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Stop worrying about gas mileage. Its called overhead. You should be telling yourself I only spent $XX in fuel to make $XXXX dollars in 12 hours. I stay in one lot for 4 hours and only had 22 miles on the trip meter, but I burn 8-9 gallons of gas. Mileage is for long distance driving.

11. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

HA! under 8 is bad... I have a 6.0L that gets average 5mpg plowing and it has the 3.73's! if you are worrying about mileage then you don't have enough plowing to do!:)

-oops didn't realize that is with a diesel!! my friend pulls 30,000 lbs on the farm with his duramax and still gets 10mpg...under 8 that is bad..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  12. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Good point on the reversing..and probably should calcualte GPH.

I'm just letting it slid until spring when I resume normal mon-fri pulling my landscape trailer to get a good idea of the mpg. The .08c/L spike lately for diesel is a bigger load of BS thou.

13. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Buy an aftermarket PCM and download a good tow tune from EFI live, rip off that exhaust system and run just a mild muffler, do the PPE intake modification and you will see upwards to 20mpg empty and at least 12-14mpg plowing.

14. procut

procut Senior Member

Most all newer vehicles the odometer continues to count miles even in reverse.

15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

you gotta remeber with the allison your also doing 2000-2500 rpm in reverse which dosent help the mpg at all.... Like you told you, anyone who claims they get over 500 km/tank plowing snow is full of it... Unless they think they plow snow and dont know what plowing snow is.... I'm lucky if we get 250km's outta most tanks..

16. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I did 24 hours of non stop and went through 3/4 of a tank in my cummins. BUT it was light fluffy snow and I plowed mostly in 2wd (400# sand in bed) Only popped in it 4wd to start of on a slick spot. And the main reason I kept going back to 2wd was bad ujoints up by transfer case. So if you got no weight in back. I suggest throw some in. My truck handles 100x better in snow too.

17. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

If fuel prices are a problem you need to rethink your pricing for next winter .

18. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I track overhead in gallons per hour, not miles per gallon, since the aforementioned method is a more accurate measuring method.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't like paying for fuel when plowing, don't plow. Problem solved!