1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brushes responsible for non-working plow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by southshoreman, Dec 27, 2010.

1. southshoreman

southshoreman Junior Member

I have a Fisher plow mounted on my truck and this year just cannot get it to function properly. It's installed correctly and there is no sign of seepage or leaking of oil or hydraulic fluid. Intermittenly, the plow will briefly respond to the joystick command, i.e., turn left or right, but that doesn't last for more than 10 seconds or so. My father-in-law, who was born with a wrench and hammer in his hands, swears it must be frozen brushes located in the head of the container/casing holding the fluids. Admittedly, I'm not so mechanically inclined, and have a hard time visualizing brushes in this context. Before I go to a professional center, and for my edification, does this sound familiar to anyone as a potential source of the problem? Thanks.

2. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Most modern plows use an electric motor to power the hydraulic unit at the front of the plow.

There could certainly be a problem with those brushes in the electric motor.

You should be able to have it rebuilt. If you plan to remove the motor and then the exterior case, you should probably have a replacement motor ready to bolt on!!!

3. southshoreman

southshoreman Junior Member

Thanks very much-

I'm taking it to a trucking business that profesionally services Fisher plows. I'm hoping the repair bill is within $200.

4. skibum

skibum Junior Member
    from boston

if you think the motor is causing your problems, they are relatively cheap to replace and take a half hour to install, even for a novice. I replaced mine last year when I bought my plow because it was frozen also. Picked up a Fisher motor from Donovan Spring in Londonderry for about 150. I put a little gasket sealant on the bottom where it meets the pump to keep the water out.