1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brushes for Motor

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by secret_weapon, Jan 10, 2015.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I am looking for a part number for the electric motor brushes. Are these available from Boss or should I find an electric motor repair place? I've searched, but can't find an actual part number.

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We've tried to have them repaired, they always say that there is shorts in the windings also - we just buy new motors, cheap enough.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Same. Cost more to rebuild then replace. Not to mention the downtime waiting on the rebuild to come back, vers off the shelf now replacement.

4. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I am trying to stay away from the cheap aftermaket motors. It's not going to be such a great deal if I have to replace it again next year. Is that cheapy motor made with the quality as the Boss motor? If I have to, I'd rather support Boss or my local electric motor rebuilder before supporting China.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm betting your boss motor is a Bosch or fenner motor. Most manufacturers DON'T make there own electric motors.

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Boss, I love em but it seems they switched motors some years ago and we replaced a bunch, I don't know if it's really true but I do know we replaced a bunch.

It's a $110 motor from Angelo's, they last a couple of years, they take 30 minutes to change - we keep them on the shelf.

I buy brakes, batteries, alternators etc from the dealership because there seems to be a large difference in quality or how long the part lasts but a small difference in price.

I don't know what Boss charges for the motors, I sorta remember paying 200 or 250 for one, I found them for the low 100's - they last the same amount of time - in my opinion there is no difference from one to the other.