1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brooms on SkidSteers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, May 1, 2009.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Who's using front hydraulically driven brooms on their skidsteers for sidewalks? How is that working for you? I was thinking about trying it out next year to cut down on sidewalk damage from a steel blade.

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

They actually work great. We used three skid steers & two track driven Bombardier's for sidewalks at a very large site that has over seven miles of sidewalks.

The down sides are that the sidewalks must be wide enough (6'+) and they have poor ground clearance.

They will not leave the dreaded rust marks that steel leaves, and they throw the snow off pretty darn good..........even the wet and heavy. :drinkup:

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Redmann your back, where you been?:drinkup:

4. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I always wondered about the wet heavy lake effect snow drifts. How are they in say 2 foot drifts at maybe -5F temps? I know a proper blower is the right thing but the blower is useless to me for the rest of the year. What would you consider the maximum depth of snow a sweeper is effective?

5. redman6565

its been tough up here for our site work crew, so i've been spending a lot of time bidding, marketing and drumming up work...its brutal, still have 25% of our work force laid off.

6. redman6565

now you surprised me that it's that effective in wet and heavy snow because i wouldn't have thought that.

i know the positive side for me is that those damn bubble pads for the blind, my guys ripped up four sections of them this year with the blade and the store for some reason, didn't have them place in poured concrete, they are only nailed onto the sidewalk and glued.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Brooms do a great job but are very high in maintenance, most years you will be lucky to get a full season out of the bristles and I'd keep a blade handy in case the sweeper breaks. Nothing does a better job then a broom though.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The city uses brooms a lot here. Very little salt is needed because the brooms strip it pretty clean.

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Tricky question........depends on the snow type. Would probably work well on 8"-10" of powder, much slower on the real wet & heavy at that depth. The key is don't let it collect up to big depths.

They are higher maintenance for sure. And if your operator is not paying attention the bristles will wear out quickly (from too much down pressure) and unevenly (always angled left or right without mixing it up) before their time. I agree, don't really know what does a cleaner job.

10. redman6565

ya i'm going to keep my blade and my little push box out there for the skidsteer to use daily because my skid plows the loading docks and all the emergency doors too which that broom wont be able to do, but the broom will work nicely on the sidewalks.