1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bronco w/ no horn or cruise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by captbo, Jan 26, 2010.

1. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Hello I just picked up a 96 eddie bauer and am working through the bugs, I check the fuses and replace the horn relay and still have nothing, can some one help? Thanks

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There is a clock spring (I think that is the name) in the steering column that needs to be replaced. Basically you remove the steering wheel and just behind it is this sensor/switch. This happened on my bronco as well.I think this is what's wrong with yours.

3. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Thanks I'll check it out!

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

and i think the cruise controls on 92-96/97 F series and broncos are known to catch fire for some reason. i remember reading that somewhere. i know when i bought my 96 F350 i was trying to avoid a truck with cruise control. i can't remeber the specifics, but worth looking into....

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

and i think the cruise controls on 92-96/97 F series and broncos are known to catch fire for some reason. i remember reading that somewhere. i know when i bought my 96 F350 i was trying to avoid a truck with cruise control. i can't remeber the specifics, but worth looking into....

6. trustno1

trustno1 Junior Member

I bought a '95 bronco earlier this year and have had the same sort of electrical problems. I'm working on getting the door locks to work. I have a question for you. Do your lights pulsate? I found that once I replaced the battery some of the stuff started working better. My next step is replacing the voltage regulator. Everything in these trucks work off the power supply. When I first got the truck I had problems with shifting. It wasn't the tranny, it was the power going to the controller. I think once I get the basics working properly, more of the electronic stuff will work.

Thanks, Scotty

7. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Hi Scotty, When I bought this 96 the young man told me the rear axle was broken, when I got Her home I opened the diff to find the only break was a trashed side gear, $100. form ford 15 min under the truck ansd she rolls just fine! My lights never pulsated but the Previous owner has fashioned many elec. bugs for me to work out, like a incorrectly installed alarm system, It had no alt. or battery and when he canableized this truck for those parts he cut the cables, I made my own Pos. battery and I did a 130amp "3G" alt swap this is not yet a plow truck but everyone can use more juice,

stay in touch,,Bo

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm glad to see you guys having this discussion. I have a 97 F350, which has basically been sitting mostly for the last year. I've had the same issues being discussed. I was going to sell her, but can't bring myself to do it. I'm hopefully buying a large building to work out of in the near future. If it happens, I'll be tearing it down, and giving her a full makeover. Hope to hear more about what you all figure out.
    Good luck w/ that!!

9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

A couple of years ago I had a lot of shifting problems. I consulted w/ several pro's because I wasn't convinced that I needed a rebuild, as I don't really tear up trannies. Everyone insisted I did though. My buddy stopped over one night and crawled under w/ a can of brake cleaner. He pulled and sprayed out maybe about a half dozen electrical plugs on the trans itself, fifteen minutes later it was all good and shifted fine. These plugs were packed w/ ice and grime from plowing, not a great design Ford made w/ the electrical connections. After that, I made sure to clean them all again before the next plow season.

10. trustno1

trustno1 Junior Member

I got a good one for ya. When I bought my '95 I asked the guy if the back window worked. He said it should. The previous owner said he hadn't driven it for a while. Just around the farm. Anyhow, after 3 cans of PB blaster and a lot of work I got the window to go up and down :laughing: Keep those old broncos running, ford's not making anymore.

Thanks, Scotty