1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bronco Motor Swap

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86burban, Feb 16, 2004.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I got a Bronco at work that needs a motor. It is a 351 that lost its oil pump. I got a new(er) motor out of an 87 Grand Marquis. It is fuel injected, but im gonna put the carb, intake, and exhaust manifolds on the mew motor. My question is, how involved of a project is it? Ive really never done a motor swap entirely by myself before. Ive pulled a bunch of front drive motors before and I know thats easy. I have never done a motor on a 4x4 truck before. How hard is it?

Thanks,

Tony

2. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Its an 83 automatic BTW.

Tony

3. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

need to take the intake and exaust manifolds plus all emissions equiptment off the old motor for the new one,plus oil pan and pickup tube,motor mounts,flex plate for auto,and anything bolted to the old motor for the new one.make sure the new motor has a fuel pump mount in the front cover that can be used,not cast shut.

best idea is to buy a new oil pump,fuel pump,water pump,plugs,cap,rotor,wires,valve cover gaskets,and anything else that is bolted on and change them out now so you dont kick yourself later on for not doing it,since it will be easier doing it now when the motor is out and swinging.

did a few engine swaps on fords,this is just a few things to watch for.the exaust and intake manifold ports make sure the gaskets cover the ports.had a 4 cyl that didnt,pulled my hair out till we did the ether test and found out the problem why it wouldnt idle.the fuel pump mount in the front cover is important,since you are going from fuel injected to carbruated,sometimes they dont machine the hole in the timing cover,plus check to see if they put the excentric on the cam.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I agree with Clueless.:nod:
    You might as well freshen it up while it's out and on the stand.:waving:

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There's other stuff I do too to freshen it up on an engine change.
    I put in a rebuilt torque converter and replace the rear main oil seal while it's out. Disturbing these two parts a lot of times causes them to leak later. They cost a bit to replace but your will not have to go back later. If at all replace the seals on the converter so it don't leak.

6. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Im in the middle of the swap right now.

Tony

7. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Finally done and running. I hd a hard time getting the motor out due to its body lift. I had to take off the oil pan and get the chains real close down on the motor to get it to clear the core support. The core support was welded to the fenders by some genius who replaced the body panels and I couldnt get it apart without cutting it. The reverse was much easier than the removal.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  8. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

ive pulled ones out in the similar situations,i put rims only on the front to get the clearance to pull it out.wirks and you can move it if you have to.