1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken windshield

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firefighter, Feb 18, 2003.

1. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Today my wife was in the truck when I was plowing a church parking lot for the first time. The person that usually plows it, his ford truck is broke down so I'm helping him out. I checked were the side walk was to know how far to plow. What I didn't know was that they had a side walk coming out from the main side walk into the middle of the parking lot, raised about 3" and extending about 2 feet. Well. I was almost done when I hit the raised side walk, I wasn't moving that fast, but it was a sudden stop. My wife had taken her seat belt off when I started to plow the lot. After we were tossed around from the sudden stop. I noticed my windshield was shattered on the passenger side. My wife hit the windshield with her head, thank god she was not hurt bad. The windshield will be replaced this Thursday. Also seat belts will be worn at alll times from here on.

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Glad that she is well.

I get lazy (read stupid) and forget to put my belt on driving around on dry roads. I take plowing VERY seriously and buckle up EVERYTIME I get in the truck. I almost wish for a 4 point harness (two shoulders and lap belt)

Howard

3. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Glad to hear she was not hurt bad. I guess thats a good reminder to all of us that seat belts are important and shouldnt be taken for granit. Come to think of it I didnt wear mine when I plowed today. I just figured it would be a hassle to buckle and unbuckle every time I get in and out and not much can happen in a parking lot. Mine will be buckled from now on.

4. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude Junior Member

John Allen's book even mentioned that very thing.

In it he says that one should ALWAYS wear seat belts when plowing. It's only a matter of time before EVERY plowman gets a "wake-up call." :eek:

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Glad to hear she's ok. This reminds me of the very first time I was in a plow truck. The truck was a 92 F350 PSD with an 8' Fisher, anyway we were plowing for about 5 minutes or so when the driver looked over to me a said "you might want to put your seatbelt on because the last person to sit there will plowing didn't and he went through the windsheild". My seatbelt went on dam fast beleive me.

Personally I wear my seatbelt about 95% of the time when I'm plowing. However stories like this make me reconsider that 5% of the time when I don't wear it.