1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken western ultramount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbutch83, Jan 1, 2003.

1. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I have a new western ultramount, bought this year, and have only plowed approximately 10 hours with it. I do not plow hard, don't slam into things, and have not struck anything yet. I just looked at my plow, and the frame mount on the left side that mounts to the back of the moldboard is completely cracked on the inside, and 3/4 of the way cracked on the outside. Unfortunately, I do not have the dealer service in my area that some of you have, and they are calling for snow in my area for the next several days. I can have everything welded back together, but should I complain to my dealer, and have western replace the broken parts, or am I out of luck. I did take several pictures of the damaged parts, just in case Western says that if was not broke.

2. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

John, I'ld definately call western and complain about that. It should be under warrenty. I'm not sure what you meant by dealer support in your area, whether one is not close bye or their service is lousy. I would call first thing in the morning and see what they can do. Hopefully the snow will hold off long enough for you. Maybe if you atleast call and they can't do anything before the snow flies and ask if it would be a problem/ warrenty void if you weld it you won't be totally outta luck. Meantime i'ld look around for a friend to cover you if the snow doesn't hold off. Good luck
  3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree, you should definitly give Western a call.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You have a 2 season warranty on the plow.
    Step 1-call western and the dealer that did the install
    2- Take pics of broken areas
    3- If snow is eminent, have bracket welded back together so your plow is operational
    4- Follow up with dealer ASAP to get the new brackets installed.
    Western is a good company and I have no doubt they will take care of the issue.
  5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

western is very good about making repairs even if its out of warranty sometimes.call asap in most cases they will over night parts for you if there is no dealer or the dealer sucks
  6. johngus

johngus Senior Member

What's going on with these western's?I get lots of slack on here about Meyer but these Western's just don't seem much better.
  7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

im not having any problems.i have 3 of them.before that i had westerns that were 18 19 years old
  8. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I took pictures, and am heading to the dealer I got the plow from first thing in the morning. I have no complaints as how the plow works, I have not had any problems with that, but installation was a pain, not everything fit the way it was supposed to fit, and had to grind down a part to make it fit. (this was at the directions of the dealer, and it is not related to the broken part). Hopefully this will get fixed soon, my partner also had a weld break on his western uni mount over Christmas. I will keep you posted as to what Western says.

9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

welds break on everything if the prep work isn`t right.happened to one of my new trucks.part of the frame that holds the front shock snapped right off.had a exmark mower where parts of the deck that were welded came right off.my brother is a welder at moroso and he can make some nice lookig welds but they snap right off cause the metal or the welder itself isn't setup right.can you send me a pic of what broke on your plow?
  10. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Plows are like cars, when you sell thousands and thousands of them you are bound to have an occasional lemmon, thats why they have warranties. Usually you only here about bad things, no one ever complains when things work the way they were intended.
  11. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Here's the update, Went an saw the dealer this morning, took a quick look at it, and said that he would order a new quadrant from western. I asked about welding it up so it can be used today, he said that he would call Western to see what they say, he stated that they usually don't like you doing that, so they can inspect the weld. Went into the office, dealer called Western, they stated to weld it up, they would not warranty the part, because the mounting ear was probably over tightened, at that it was my fault. Western said that they have had 30 of the quadrants sent in for the same problem, and they have only warranteed 2 of them. I know that the part was not too tight, even though there instructions do not say how tight they want the part to be. I guess I will be writing a nice letter to Western, and will have to find a different manufacturer in the future. Will have the plow welded up this afternoon.

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i would of called western first before going to the dealer.never tell a dealer or a plow company that you want something replaced then ask them to weld up the broken part so you can get through a storm.western prob said the hell with this guy hes going to have it welded but still wanted a free part.tell them right out i want a new part and i want it today you didn`t give me any specs on bolting that part so thats your fault and i wanna new part or im going to have my lawyer make out a nice letter to you about how we are going to court cause i lost money cause my new plow was damaged and you won`t fix it and i had customers to take care of.always deal with them direct not a dealer talking for you.
  13. cbr954plower

cbr954plower Junior Member

Hey J Butch.... I am from NWI and deal with Riggs here in Valpo..... is that where you went they are usually pretty good
  14. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I got my plow from Pryamid Welding in Rolling Prairie, I don't have a problem with the dealer, and he was told by Western when he called to order a replacement quadrant that they would not warranty the part. It was Western's suggestion to have the piece welded, not the dealers, I was in his office when he called Western. They basically said that it was not their fault that the part broke, and they would not warranty any breakage on that particular part. My dealer originally told me that he was going to order a new part, and he was the one that told me not to have it welded, that Western would want to see the part as is, not with another weld on it. I am going to write a letter to Western, and see what that gets me.

15. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope things work out for you- Is Western that tight on fixing warrantied problems, just curious as my plow is not new, 3 or so years old. But in future may be picking up a new one, trading in old. Good luck and keep in touch about Western dealings!!! Bring on the snow, Hawkz
  16. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Here is the new update. I sent an email to Western, and they replied yesterday. I would post the reply here, but don't have a clue as to how to do it. They basically stated that they do not know who the dealer spoke with, but from the conversation that I told them about, they don't think that he talked to anybody at Western. They advised that they would have warranteed the part, and they mentioned nothing about an installation problem. They asked for the name of the dealer, as they wanted to speak with him, to find out what was going on. Sounds like they are willing to replace the broken part, so I will keep you posted.

17. cbr954plower

cbr954plower Junior Member

See that was what I was worried about..... some companies will tell you the manufactor will not warranty the item, so that they can sell a new part and also charge labor... This is not the fault usually of the employees, but the management..... They will put pressure on their guys to push things that should not be pushed...... Talk to Western, see if these guys are trying to hang ya...

Example, my oil change place I have been going to for three years.... and have about 6 trucks going through there all the time.... I brought my personal, commute truck in to get an oil change and I was a little over 4500 miles...the oil was dirty, well the guys there usually would run a quart or two through for free to clean out the pan....

This woman.... bit$# manager/owner walks by and starts yelling at his guys what the hell are you doing.... they explain, she says that costs 34 cents a quart, blah, blah, blah... if you ever do it again I am going to let you go. I walked up to her and said in the winter I do about 300 a month in business with you and I want you to know that I will be taking my business elsewhere (what she did not know was that I just finished building my 6 car garage and that I put a car and truck lift in it and will be doing my own anyways). She was all upset and actually looked like she was going to cry, one of her employees called her an idiot.

All over a couple bucks..... that is what rules the world, screw customer service.
  18. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

always deal with the plow companies first.dealers are looking to make money.if they do warranty work western pays them.well guess what the dealer doesn't see that money for months sometimes a year.just like a car dealership they have to put money out to do warranty stuff
  19. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Make no mistake, the folks at Western DO read PlowSite regularly.

Fisher too...

It's not the first time a PlowSite Member had a problem that got immediate attention because of posting it here.

Western and Fisher are true supporters of our industry on MANY levels, and I for one am thankful.

20. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

same here chuck.