1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken unimount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowjoker, Feb 19, 2003.

1. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

has anyone ever had one of the top pins on their unimount break off? i was thinking about cutting off the rest of the pin and welding a grade 8 bolt in place would that be ok? i just joined plowsite and find it very informative any feedback would be greately appreciated thanks walt:drinkup:

2. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I've had several uni-mounts never heard of the pins on the lightbar breaking off, I don't see how it could happen. most of the pressure seems to be on the bottom pins.

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

i dont kno either but the drivers side pin broke off it used to be a highway department truck, i have owned it for about 2 1/2 years it is a 93 chevy 2500 7.5 plow i just noticed the drivers side light lower than the other and got out to see what the prolbem is and that was it. the pin was wore a little but not too bad unless it happened when the bottom pin fell out one time but i dont pound on it because i want it to last :eek: lust bad luck my way i guess walt

4. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

If your talking about the pin that stabalizes the lights and pump assembly then yes. I welded a grade 8 bolt in and drilled a hole for the cotter key and have never had a problem since.

5. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I've had one break on the Quadrant where the plow pivots and thats what we did to repair/fix it. Seems to be ok.
    I'd torch the broken bolt out and install a new one through the hole then weld it on it would be alot stronger that way.

Dan