1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken spring w/ pics

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by stcroixjoe, Oct 25, 2007.

1. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

1st pic just a little sag on the passenger side 2nd pic i had to put a clamp on there because the rattling was driving me crazy 3rd nice clean break huh lol

f-250 037.jpg

f-250 032.jpg

f-250 034.jpg
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I guess your Fixing Or Repairing Daily...

The clamp is a nice touch.:D

Just cut off the old U-bolts that will speed things up.
    Its a good idea to use new ones any way.
  3. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

my truck is in the shop right now getting a 4'' pro comp lift installed new springs all they way around i'll post some pics when i get it back
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you ready to lower your plow frame 4 inches too?

Off road springs are for allowing a lot of travel to the suspension.
    To do this they are longer and softer than stock.

Hope your front does not sag a lot under the weight of the plow.

Good luck.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There is another post here about the same problem. My Brother in-law just had his 99 Crew Cab 4X4 done. Buy after market springs the OEM Fords are breaking too much.
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have 4.5" of lift in mine and did not have to drop the plow frame at all. Meyers told me I would have to drop it if I went over 11" of lift.
  7. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

had to replace both back springs on my truck last year. they were broke when I bought the truck. so the shop rebuilt my spring packs and beefed them up a bit. back sits a few inches higher I think and doens't squat much when loaded but still rides the same.
  8. MickiRig1

My bro-inlaw had it done, he never thought to ask if we could do it !
    Air tools and a torch would make short work of that job in an afternoon.
    I like nothing better then fixing something with someone else buying the parts and helping.
    I take Beer or Bourbon afterward as tips.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  9. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

i notice that you have a f 250 just like mine and i have the exact same break in the exact same spot what a coincidence. However when i actually get a round to replacing mine i think I'm going to put one ton springs in it i don't know if you haul allot or if you even want to replace both sides but if your going thew the hassle you midas well put the bigger springs in it i doubt you will regret it.
  10. jrglandscape

jrglandscape Member

Stud Bro, the f350 springs break in the same place the same way. Replaced mine on the 250 and 350. I put in a few extra leafs in both trucks. no problems since.

JRG Landscape
  11. MickiRig1

I guess springs breaking is not a reason to recall trucks. Just the small cross section of Ford owners on this site should not have that many break! I know my Brother inlaw does not over load his truck. It's his daily driver / family truckster. He has work trucks to do the work.
  12. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

i had the same problem . too much weight on the front end.I added an extra leaf on ea. side that ran me 800.00 . heres a tip.... do both sides
  13. MickiRig1

Yep, eveytime you do both sides. Brakes, shocks, struts, springs and tires if they are both close to worn out.Don't be like my evil cousin Jury rig and replace only the parts etc that are worn out.