1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken spark plug

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EricD701, Feb 5, 2009.

1. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

whats the best way to remove a broken spark plug?

It broke off at the hex so just the threaded portion is still in the head with som of the ceramic.

Its a 97 5.7L chevy 2500 #4 cylinder.

Is an ez out the best way? I have heard of a special tool made for getting out broken plugs but have never seen one or now where go get one.

Just trying to avoid taking the head off.

thanks.

2. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

A big easy out should do the trick.

3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I have gotten a few out with an ez out and hope the ceramic insulator goes out through the exhaust

4. damian

damian Senior Member

i remove the ceramic inside and make the plug hollow,i then heat it with torch to break the rust bond and spray it cool w/pb blaster or some other penatrating oil,then i use a scew extractor and they come right out.good luck.

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:cool:tymusicIve used a EZ out but the last time I had a problem my auto shop sold me the screw type extractor. It works excellent.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Good luck with the plug!!....good thing we don't have any storms right around the corner for us =]

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

The screw type extractor in my opinion is the best. Dont hesistate to put a extended bar on it. I know its got your truck down but usually its a quick fix. Good Luck

8. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

its ok if it snows, I don't have this truck set up for plowing yet.

9. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Thanks for the advice all :salute:

10. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

all fixed... :)

was able to get it out so i didn't have to take the head off ::big sigh::