1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken shifter cable

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I just broke the shifter in my 97, can't look at it until later. Anyone know what's involved, is it a cable or something? What happened was, I've had occasional problems over the years with it not wanting to come out of park. I have replaced the brake light switch, but it still does it on rare occasions. I know it is still related to the switch because if I reach up under the dash and try to jiggle the switch, it will eventually work and allow me to get out of park. Short story long, I just went to move the truck inside while I'm at work, rushing around out in the freezing cold trying to move it in before I let all the heat out of the garage. Well, naturally it decides to refuse to come out of park. I had a momentary lapse of judgement, and while shouting swear words at it I yanked on the shifter very hard and it broke something and came free. It is obviously not engaging any gears, not moving the cable or anything, just flopping freely. But I can still put it in park position and shut the key off and it stays locked. Think I just broke the cable? Are they hard to change?

Can't wait to go work on it outside at midnight when I get out of work.

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Good news, it wasn't the cable!

Bad news, I broke the shifter range control into three pieces. Fortunately I found one at a dealer 40 miles away and they only charged me $150 for it! Yay me.

I wish I could blame it on all the back and forth shifting from plowing, but I broke it my own darn stupid self. $150 tantrum.