1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken receiver

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ServiceOnSite, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Looks like its time to break out the big mig and weld on a few guessts and fix this. lucky i seen this after i hooked up to the trailer and not down the road
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

what are we looking at?
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Looks like :nod:
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

use your imagination
  5. ServiceOnSite

ok lets try this. never a problem uploading pics from my phone to the pc. had to save it to a different program.

0823081512[1] (2).jpg
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

And now how about a pic and description of the trailer and what's on it :)

That's a nasty looking bend there!
  7. ServiceOnSite

the weld at the top broke and the steel was kinda coming out. the trailer its hooked to is my big enclosed trailer. only a 7700gvw that gets overloaded from time to time.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Is the tube only attached to the cross channel? Does it extend though to another crossmember to provide cantalever support? It should have a support plate below it on the rear side also. If it's just welded to the single peice of channel you need to support it a little better.
  9. scitown

scitown Senior Member

You would be better off with it welded to a large square plate and then bolted to the truck. Or weld the plate to the truck.
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

so who ever put that in was a ******* they just cut a hole out put that in and welded around no gussets in back or front and 3/4 " or 1" plate steel will be fine . :dizzy: if your going to keep that set up and you can get to the back where it is sticking in I would do some welding of gussets there as well as some under in the front. Or just weld your pintel set up to the plate itself. If that was a fairly new truck i would bring back to where the work was done and let them fix there mistake.
  11. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

what you should do is cut that reciever tube out and and extend it out on the frame. do you have a spare tire underneith? you can take the tube and weld on angle iron for cross members and go to the frame.. the tube will always brake off if you dont go back on the frame
  12. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

ouch thats not good at all.
  13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Wow you are lucky that did not fall off and loose what you were towing. To be honest those welds are really bad. Very poor penetration by the looks of it. Here is an idea of gusseting. Also the back of this unit has a large plate that ties it altogether.

14. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

That is a nice piece right there!:salute:
  15. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

This part I made was actually served two purposes. It is the hitch and also part of the hinge mechanism for my dump bed.

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

thats some beefy hitch setup. wow .

all i see these days is get it out the door and look o.k. were is the safty factor on most of this stuff anymore. lots of it is just junk.

his hitch thats falling off. if thay had cut a square out and then shoved it threw part way and welded both sides and braced the back even a small amount it would be 10x stronger. to many butt welds from hell out there.
  17. ServiceOnSite

it was cut through the other side welded all the way around. it sits in an inch or so. its not tied to the frame.

i put some guessets on it right after that happened. and today when i got to the job site i found that the steel above the gusset has cracked already. im just onna see if i can take it in and have the whole thing cut off and get a new set up on there:mad:
  18. ServiceOnSite

ok finding a pintle plate for my truck is proving to be a little harder than i thought. i guess im gonna have to put the whte flag up and ship it to general welding and have one custome made which just tranlates into

:cry:bend over beacuse we know you need this and cant buy it any where else:cry:
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

20. ServiceOnSite

now thats what i need. dosent give any ratings though as to how much it will pull? no gusset on the top of the receiver also? i imagine it to be strounger than the one that was on the truck, just werid that theres no rating. gotta find a dealer though