1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken poly twice

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by RYDER, Feb 19, 2008.

1. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I bought my MT26 about 3 years ago(this is its third season) and I broke the poly once last season and once this season while I was stacking. Will I decided not to get another poly, So I am trying a steel one this time. In Snow-Ways defence it was vary cold out(wind chill of -20 to -25) both times it broke. Is their anything that I can coat the steel with so the snow will not stick to it? With the poly I used car wax.:cry:

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try fluid film

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

a plow should be able to withstand temps of -50 or lower snowplows are always out when its cold a plow manufacturer should know that.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How's your plow holding up this winter?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't speak fot ABES but mine's holding down, as well as up ;).

6. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I had that issue, but it was my fault since I had some WD-40 sprayed on the Poly... I initially put it on the Metal to prevent Rusting, but then oversprayed it on the Poly. Then I figured let me "waterproof" it with WD-40. Big mistake, it made the Poly Brittle.

I now replaced it, and upgraded to an MT80. If anything does happen to the Poly, I'll upgrade to the Metal :)

7. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Go stainless baby...you wont regret it....pumpkin:happy holloween

8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 snoway steele blades. A 25 series 9' & a 29 series 8'. Both blades have held up great on commercial lots.

9. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

most of the time when i see the poly break it is because you will stack your snow in one place the next day it will start to melt and the next storm you will hit that same pile and it is like a brick when you hit it and will poke a hole in your poly

10. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Ryder welcome to the club. i have broke almost everything twice on mine. And for you their defence was it was -20 deg for me it was, i was using it for commercial applications i guess 8 driveways is to much.

11. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

sounds like a bad case of abuse

12. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I broke mine on a wall of ice.......

13. dmontgomery

how's that new 29 working out......??

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

How thick are those poly blades. never seen one up close?

15. dmontgomery

1/8" lexan......very strong but brittle in extremely cold temperatures

16. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I think I hit a chunk of ice that was on the pile.

17. lawn king

The 29 is great, mounting up is so much easier than my 25 series. I have nothing against the lexan blade skins, i myself prefer steele.

18. dmontgomery

good to hear.......my 29 has been great this year...... I need a new cutting edge.....but I will make this one last for the rest of this season.......I also liked the lexan but I like the SS even better....

19. lawn king

If i plowed only driveways, i would consider using lexan. Plowing commercial lots, you never really know whats under the snow. With my luck i would pick up a pipe or rebar on my 1st pass & break the lexan.

20. TBarOMT

TBarOMT Junior Member
    from Montana

Thanks guys....

Reading through this post, I had to smile then chuckle. I am here in Montana and I have a repair shop and I sub for a snow contractor with my skidsteer.After an all night and half through the day push, when I get back to my shop, I have a number of snowplow guys with plow problems. From broken lexan, bent plow frames, subframes that come off the truck in 5 pieces, to push boxes with broken blades and the center of the push bent out of line by 4 inches, I get the same explanation....I DIDN'T HIT ANYTHING, I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT HAPPENED....It is a pleasure to find out that plow professionals DO actually have mishaps now and then.
    Again your site is great and I love reading and learning. Someday I will grow up and put all this knowledge to good use