1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken Plow Mount Forks?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by exmark1, Dec 30, 2006.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 8'6" Hiniker V-Plow that was bought new last December! Today when I was out plowing the truck mount broke, it snapped both forks off right behind the locking notch in the fork! This truck and plow has NEVER been abused and there was no notice it just gave loose.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Is there anyway to keep it from happening again as I have 3 Hiniker plows and want to know if I can do anything about it!

Thanks

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Actually the first storm of the year here in town a guy did the exact same thing. I know hes plowed with that truck and blade for several years. I believe that he just welded them back on to the truck side mount. I know a guy that plowed with him last year. Ill see if he talked to him at all about it and see if he did anything to beef it up. I couldnt believe it when I heard about it til I saw the truck sittin in a parkin lot with the blade next to it. Looked at the front of the truck real quick as I was drivin by and sure enough, they were jsut snapped off.

Will

3. exmark1

That was about my reaction too! I just lifted up the plow and started backing up and it just crashed to the pavement with the plow in the lifted position. It is under warranty so I am getting the mount replaced today but if there is something I can do to make it better please let me know!

Thanks

4. topdj

topdj Senior Member

silly question but did hiniker find out why this happened
    I cant imagine one of you guys driving to your next lot and having a plow fall off in front of you at 40mph

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The notch creates a stress raiser, welding it back together creates a hard spot that will become another stress raiser. If it's under warranty let Hiniker fix it, if not, break out the welder. Just the nature of the beast.

6. topdj

topdj Senior Member

so Basher is this a poor design ? I dont see the issue with the lighter plows but the heavy V plows or C plows in the 8-9' range would put quite a bit of force on that notch?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How the he!! would I know. I was just stating engineering fact not design analysis. Isn't a problem I've heard about but Hinikers are rare in this area. Only Top City sells them, not a huge support base.

8. topdj

topdj Senior Member

being a plowsite Addict I would expect you to know everything!!!:eek: :D :D

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I apologize for my failure in meeting your expectations:blush2:

10. exmark1

4-11-08 same mount that was replaced last December broke again! :angry:

11. exmark1

Hiniker needs to figure this out fast or they will be losing a loyal customer! My dealer is working on it...This truck has never been abused plowing has plowed commercial, but seriously I can't be replacing mounts every year! This time it took out my front bumper and fog lights as it was going down the road at 30 when it happened!

Any advice? I am sure there is a factory rep on here somewhere what can be done to save this thing! If there is no solution I will be trading everything off on a fleet of Boss V-plows next winter!

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Thats too bad the company I work for has about 6 or so Hinikers and they get used hard. None of our mounts have broken but several are bent preety bad.

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I will have to take that back.

Just today I went into our shop and on the workbench was a hiniker plow mount that our mechanic was repairing it broke right under the notch.

14. exmark1

Ours keep breaking off at an angle from the back of the locking notch down toward the truck...still no word from anyone at the factory! My dealer is trying to help me but where not really getting anywhere.

15. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

yup thats how the one i was looking at broke also that notch just seems to be a weak point.

16. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

man that could be friggin dangerious if they came off while going somewhere.

Exmark- Spose it broke right in ur first lot of that friday storm last week, didnt it? lol.

17. exmark1

No actually it broke on the way to the first lot! lol Maybe 2 miles from my house... not very happy to say the least! At least I have 3 trucks and was able to sub out the work from the broken truck, we were able to get by and get everything done in time. It ripped the bottom of the bumper up and bent the light tower on the plow (he was going 30 mph) Hiniker is hopefully paying for the damages, or theres always insurance!

18. mjd

mjd Junior Member
    from indiana

any updates on these,are they doing anything to improve it,i just put a 7.5 foot plow on my truck,it was gave to me,now im thinking i might want to sell it and get a differant kind

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I wouldn't get my undies in a bunch over this.

It seams to only happen to a select # of them...

I self admittedly can be hard on things at times.
    My hiniker is my back up plow it is run on a 2500 dodge with at least
    1k of weight in the box.
    When I use it I'm under the gun.
    Running her hard and fast.
    After 5yrs of this kind of use the only problem's have been with the plugs and one of my guys forgot to raise the stand and bent it.

Honest... I Just forgot to lock it on and left it in the first pile one time.......lol..

20. mjd

mjd Junior Member
    from indiana

ive always had meyer plows,kinda like the hiniker set up,havnt used it yet but i found a dealer couple hours away that sells the mounts for under $500 if it does break,as for the stand the owner before me must have done this to,its missing lol,i made one for it ,the plug does look cheap but they could be swapped out easy enough with trailer plugs if nothing else