1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken plow frame for starters!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by agrizman, Dec 26, 2008.

1. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. This is my first Boss Plow. 9-2 Poly on a 04 Ram 5.7 2500 Heavy Duty. Drove 650 miles to pick-up this plow last weekend in NY. Had it installed this past Monday, Plowed Tues. night. This started the problems, 1st. had a heck of a time getting the plow to return to the up possition, messed with the connections all night long. Any ideas? Yesterday, X-Mas Day, I was in the garage and my son said, Dad, your plow is broken. He was right. The tube above the main vertical cylinder had fracture completely inhalf. It broke about 1" from where the cyl. blocks are welded to this tube. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to take care of it so that it does mot happen again. This plow is only 2 years old. So between the up problem and the broken frame, I am to say the least not real happy at this time. Any help PLEASE> Griz

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I dont know enough to help but pictures may help someone help you.

Bruce

3. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Broken Plow

I have 2 photos, Let's see if I can download them. If not, I will as I figure that out, Griz

Xmas 026.jpg

Xmas 027.jpg

4. NeighborDave

NeighborDave Junior Member

Hey Griz-
    I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I had this exact issue last year. Mine broke in the same place. Spent the better part of two hours fabricating, welding and reinforcing with some steel stock. I probably should have replaced the whole frame but mine has held up so far. My plow is five years old and the serial number starts with a 72. I noticed yours starts with a 69. I don't know how they number but I would be shocked if it is only two years old. I will post a picture of my repair as soon as my "technical support" person comes home from the grocery store. Dave

5. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Hey guys, mine broke in the EXACT same place.:realmad: Cut off ears that hold pin for cylinder & replaced entire tube that broke & also welded in supports to help carry load- works great and is super strong now.

6. NeighborDave

NeighborDave Junior Member

Here are the pics plus one of my 9 year old giving it a try

PC260327.jpg

PC260328.jpg

PC250323.jpg

7. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Thanks for the reply guys. This sure looks like a weak link in the Cadillac of plows. I just came from the supply shop with a length of 2"x3" square stock tube. I am going to remove the broken round pipe, replace it and the run a 1 1/2" angle stock gusset from the pressure point at the Cyl on a 45degree angle to the upper part of the tree. Thus a bridge support taking the pressure and creating 2 points of push. I will post a photo after I get this finished. Other than the broken frame, the only other problems is probably a ground or a broken wire not allowing the plow to raise. The joys of work! Thanks again, Griz

8. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Yeah, I broke mine too. Except mine bent the upright too because it really broke!
    [​IMG]

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What are you guys hitting that causing it to break?

10. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Nothing in particular hit here. Just people with crappy driveways! I think stacking snow may have not helped either. Mine broke during a big storm last winter where I had to do some serious stacking where sometimes the plow would top out pretty hard. Broke the main A-frame this year but we won't get into that!

11. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Just wondering, v-plows or straight blades??

I'll have to take a good look at mine when I pin up next, been stacking alot.....

12. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I think you hit it on the head...."stacking". I think when you enter a pile, and you hit it hard while you are raising the plow the lift piston "bottoms out". I think with all your forward momentum and lifting at the same time your causing a lot of upward force, which Im pretty sure no plow out there is designed for. So maybe when you stack, sloooowwww down and dont let your lift piston "bottom out". They are meant to push not lift.

JMO

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Welcome to a weak link, over time and use alot of them have broken there - the new plows have a bigger tube, only time will tell if it will hold up.

I fixed mine with 2" flat bar welded across the tube between the towers.

One thing to think about, if that area breaks under stress, it's a relatively cheap fix. If you make it too strong, it'll break in the next weakest link which might not be such an easy fix.

14. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I broke mine last year, fixed it with a some round stock welded between the towers, can of paint and good as new. I broke push frame last year also, bought a new one and rebuilt the entire plow, repainted the whole plow, lot cheaper than a new one.

15. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Broke my dads 8'2" poly v last year in the same spot. i just put it back in place, grooved it out with my grinder, and put a good weld all the way around the pipe with good penetration. then i smoothed things out with the grinder, put a little bondo on it, sanded it and sprayed it black. you honestly cant even tell it broke, and has yet to break, wich i garuntee it wont!

16. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Well then gents, I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has done this. Has anyone noticed WHEN they broke theres? Sounds like in the scoop position is the cause. I just got this Boss, it is my 1st V-Blade. What is the proper way to scoop? I think from my straight blade past, I must be bumping the raise button as I push up the pile. I this a no-no? I do not want to break this repair again. Thanks, Griz

17. Onebadbowtie86

i almost think that the part just failed from being constantly stressed. my dad still stacks the crap out of banks with it, and he plows almost 40 accounts. i plow 30 or so with my boss straight blade and stack banks and such with it and nothings broke yet.

18. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Does your Dad leave his V-blade in the float mode or does he raise the plow as he piles the snow? I do not want to break this again if I am doing it wrong! Griz

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  19. Onebadbowtie86

he raises the plow when going into a bank, stacking the snow, i do the same thing.

20. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i really agree with you on this. i have not broken anything on mine yet ( knock on wood )
    but after repairing this you might want to look at how you plow and change something just my two cents.