1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken Packing Nut Removal

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Sridge, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Sridge

Sridge Junior Member
    from Ohio

What is the best way to remove a broken packing nut? I have been applying penetrating oil on it for the past couple of months on a regular basis. The nut was frozen and I was too rough on it trying to loosen it. There is still room to possibly use a pipe wrench to turn it. Should I use any heat or is that not a good idea?

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

HEAT! Your gonna melt the seals but those are the breaks,clean it up good and get a new packing nut and seal kit(not that expensive)I've had to do it countless times.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ok been there and done this. Usually someone cranks one in to far because it wheeps fluid. Well its designed to do that, but some guys just crank till it stops. So then when you have to do seals, you break it off. Or you just get real bad corrsions on it.

Take a rose bud torch. And apply low (AND I MEAN LOW) heat around the top of the casting. You want to heat very very evenly. You just want it to get at little more than warm. This usually enough to get the aluimium to expand enough to let the top come loose. Soon as you take the torch off, crank on it with the pipe wrench. But be really really careful, Because you can twist the top of the casting right off. The metal is real thin right there. (don't ask me why I know that:rolleyes: )

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Your new here,,I think you should keep your broken packing nuts issue to yourself.....sounds a little personal to me..

Welcome...:waving:

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I like doing this with two guys, one with the wrench, one with the heat. one guy puts even pressure on the nut while the other heats the housing evenly. as soon as the nut moves remove heat.

The LOW HEAT is critical, to much heat can warp the housing and you'll never get the new one to start. also a good idea to remove at least the top bolt and lean the pump forward so you can keep the heat away from the vehicle.

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Is it for a plow cylinder?

While I would also try to repair it, don't spend too much time of effort on it. You can replace most plow cylinders for $100 or less.

7. Sridge

Sridge Junior Member
    from Ohio

Yes, I'm new here. This is my 1st plow. It came with a truck that I bought from a local town's surplus auction. I'm learning as I go. It is the plow cylinder packing nut that is broke. I'll try using low heat, pipe wrench & a friend to try and loosen the packing nut. If I can't get it off, I'll take it to a local garage to fix. At least I'll know what is involved in fixing the problem. Thanks for the help!

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

MY bad I thought you broke the packing nut on the pump housing itself. The cylinder ones are very easy. Just be gental and again use the low heat. The pump housing packing nut really suck when you break them.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree,
    Replacing it is a better option then rebuilding the ram.
    Can you post a pic of the ram?

Is the tube still round, is it pitted/ scratched, bent?

After you remove this nut there is yet another nut you need to remove.
    Then after you are done it may still leak internally and externally.
    Have you ever done this before?

If this was an expensive ram like on large pieces of heavy equipment then rebuilding it may save you a few bucks.
    Thees rams on our plows are cheep enough to replace with a new one.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Definitely replace.
    I thought you were working on the pump.
    Angle ram it's a no brain'er. REPLACE!

11. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member