1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken orange wire near ignition, goes up gear selector lever

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by woodchuckcanuck, Oct 22, 2009.

1. I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD with 8.1L and Allison 5 speed automatic. Is this wire for the 'tow/haul' button at the end of the gear selector lever on the steering column? I only found it because the rubber boot around the gear lever was chewed up so I removed it.
    Could this be a diy project to fix? I'm skilled enough to take off the dash facing and disassemble the a/c switch to see why the fan doesn't work on 1 and 2 speed. So I figure this next project might be do-able. More importantly I guess is the question, Is it even worthwhile? I will be towing a 18ft tag low deck with tractor and implements which runs 10-11,000 lbs. I haven't hooked up and towed yet so I don't know how the truck will react. The steepest hill it will have to climb is the driveway, about 300 ft at a 30 deg slope.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes that would be for the T/H button on the end of the shifter stalk. It's a common issue but if you're handy it's totally DIY fixable. Just need steady hands and a little patience as the wires are very small. The other resort is to replace the shifter stalk as the wiring/switch isn't serviceable separately.

3. Thanks. I was able to tug on the wire coming up the column and gained some length but they only overlap about a 1/4 inch, if that. Yes, those two white wires in the orange sleeve are small indeed. I didn't spend a whole lot looking at it yet but I was wondering where that wire is feeding from (down in the steering column).

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The T/H activation switch is just a ground trigger to the body control module, which is what then sends the signal to the transmission control module to activate the tow/haul. So basically one wire goes to a central ground, up through the T/H button and then out to the body control module, then to the trans control module.

5. Ok Thanks. Sounds like a simple circuit, like a receptacle (T/H) on the end of a circuit controlled by a switch (BCM). I'll have to do some searching on the forum to find out where that BCM is.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'll save you the leg work. The BCM is located right under the steering column. Will have three multi pin connector plugs on it. Should be a blue, a grey, and a purple or white.

7. Thanks again. Speaking of receptacles, I always wondered if it was possible to wire in a plug to run, lets say, a corded circ saw or drill. It would be ideal for tailgate carpentry.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wiring a 110V receptacle isn't the hard part. Finding an underhood location for the 110V generator is though. :D

9. Probably is. I haven't a clue about what is required. I can wire simple circuits, that's about it. I figured all you'd have to do is tap into a strong alternator. 110v generator you say...

Seriously though, is it do-able?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure it's do-able, there's a few companies around who market engine driven underhood generators for late model trucks. You won't like the price however. Far more cost effective to simply throw a gas generator in the bed.

11. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Get an inverter. I have a 2500 watt inverter with 110v receptical at the rear bed. I have it hooked into my aux battery so I don't run down the main battery. It will easily run a skill saw, miterbox, sander etc. it will not start a compressor.
    You have to wire inverters with big wire. I used 0 welding cable. They will draw over 200 amps at full use.