1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken nipples ( please help )

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi guys, I need help again

I have a fisher poly salter 1 . 4 yards.

Anyways, I began greasing the nipples & for some reason the last one got stuck in the gun. So I yanked on it & it broke. The threaded part of the nipple is stuck inside.

My questions :
    why do they get stuck ?
    how often do you have to grease the salter ?
    Is there a particular type of grease to use or is an all purpose grease just fine ?
    & last, anyone know how to get this thing out ?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

the nipples or zerk (zurk,zerck... SP) usually get stuck because the gun cant force the grease into the nipple so the gun hose holds pressure and that makes it stick to the nipple. You can unscrew the hose from the gun or the fitting from the hose to release the pressure.

a left handed drill or an easy out, or drill and use a new bigger zerk fitting
  3. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

an easy out works. I find a lot of times that brand new couplers (on the end of the grease gun) will be real stubborn about releasing from the zerk. but yeah, pressure buildup is usually the culprit.
  4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Ohhhhh...I was getting ready to call 911 :blush2:
  5. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

i usually like to squeeze the nipples, or just lubricate orally...
  6. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

whats an easy out
  7. lake_effect

lake_effect Junior Member

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

An easy out is a left handed VERY course threaded wedge that fits in a hole that you drill into a broken bolt. As you turn left it wedges itself into the bolt and HOPEFULLY will unscrew the broken bolt. There are 2 styles of easy outs one style is the afore mentioned and the second style is a square tapered shaft with flutes that you drive into the drilled hole. I've had better luck with the second style of easy out. ANY auto parts store or hardware store will know and have them.

DANGER do not brake the easy out off in the bolt. It is hardened steel and is EXTREMELY difficult to get out. ANY bending force on the easy out will brake them.

Good luck.
  9. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Ummm, try some Ice and a little light rubbing, then lightly blow on them. ditch the gun, that only scares them....

Sorry, I couldn't resist....... :jester:
  10. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

The title of this thread cracks me up every time I see it. Hope you got them fixed.
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Pipe easy outs (thread extractors) work better, but not sure if they make them that small. They are a shorter version with more of a knurled end to grab the thread. They dont expand once inside like traditional ones do.

Like these:

12. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I have some of those pipe style, just be careful with them. I have some small ones Cornwell, and they break off really easy, I'd say they break easier than the conventional style. jmo.
  13. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hit it with fluid film first and let it sit for awhile. That will help loosen it up.
  14. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

The best is PB Blaster, that will loosen anything. There is also a tool that you can use on frozen grease fittings (fittings that won't accept grease). I forget its name but Harbor Freight sells it and it works great. The way it works is you fill the tool with a lubricant simm. to PB or WD 40 and then put the tool over the grease fitting, the final step is to take a hammer to the tool ( I often use a 3lb sledge ) . You know the fitting is cleaned when you get sprayed with the fluid. Its best to use a liquid instead of an aresol can, if that is not available spray the can into the cap, then pour the liquid into the tool. Works 90% of the time. Much faster than pulling a pin, to increase your odds, remove and clean or replace the fittting first so your noy pushing dirt into the pin.