1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BROKEN MOUNT, SMASHED HOOD...No help from western.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by firstclasslawn, Mar 11, 2007.

1. A few weeks ago we got a very heavy 6" of snow and I was using my 3500 dump with 8'6" pro plow to plow my biggest lot. While windrowing across the middle of the lot the light tower collapsed into the hood and grill of my truck. THIS IS NOT THE SAME PROBLEM AS JON GEER!!!!!! I used a tow strap and tree to bent the tower back out and limped the truck to ebling...josh looked at it and found that my mount was cracked and therefore had no strength and the bolts pulled out of the frame. The mount didn't crack in any random spot though. one of the welds split right down the middle. It didn't split on the sides where the weld meets the steel. It split the weld in half. Then the mount has no strength. Then the bolts started to pull out of the trucks frame.

EBLINGS CONCLUSION= Poorly built mount wasn't strong enoughs for the heavy snow or the pile pushing that I was doing. I asked "was this my fault, was I abusing or over working this plow?" Josh said "no, this plow frame was only welded on the outside of the c channel, not the inside therefore it didn't have near as much stregnth as it could or should have had.

SO I pay the $200 blacksmith bill and call western... My first statement to dan of technical support was this "i am not asking for anything from your company, I just want to make you aware of an issue with your ultramount." I told him the whole story and he said that they test them by running trucks into curbs, poles ....ect and they have the strongest mount and i am the only one that has ever had this problem and i must have abused it and other plows do stuff like that, but not a western. thats why all the municipalities use westerns........ and after about 10 minutes of him telling me why western in the best i finally cut him off. I said this " i am glad you like your plows, I have two westerns and one boss....I HATE BOTH MY WESTERN PLOWS! I only called to inform of an issue because I don't want this happen to other peoples trucks. Have a good day" He finally agreed to call ebling and talk to them about what happened. But i just wanted to make sure that all you guys check your mounts regularly. Make sure they aren't cracking.!!!!

Truck body damage- $1019.07
    Plow Frame Damage- $204.00

TOTAL DAMAGE = $1223.07 CHECK YOUR ULTRAMOUNT!!!!!!!

2. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Gota Love'm

firstclasslawn, Give'm a heads-up on their product a they blow smoke up your backside, go figure? Hope the damage wasn't to great to your truck. I know a dollar amount don't tell the story nowadays as to how bad it was. Hope it all turns out well for ya. Hippy.

3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Truck body damage- $1019.07
    Plow Frame Damage- $204.00

TOTAL DAMAGE = $1223.07 CHECK YOUR ULTRAMOUNT!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Telling WESTERN to piss off, Priceless. lol :drinkup:

4. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

I like my meyers plow

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Jon post some pics. I want to see your issue.:help:

6. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

ya post pics so we can see what part of your mount you are talking about

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

blown mount

don't plow with a western,but you should check all bolts,and frame work approximately every 10 hours of plowing as a general practice,generally a lot of time's some engineers think you are the only person in the world that has a problem,and nobody else has the problem, i like my boss plow ,but every plow has there share of horror story's