1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken King Bolt

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by whitelite, Nov 16, 2014.

1. whitelite

whitelite Member

I've broken 2 king bolts (pivot) (M13591) in the last 3 years. :mad: I've keep them greased, but for some reason they break. I plow dirt and gravel roads in rural Colorado, sometimes when it's very cold. (Have a xj with TM 6.5' Meyer)

Question: Can I just purchase a grade 8 Bolt of the same size and use it without any harm? :confused: It was about 10- this morning when the latest one broke.

Seems like one that is hollow to allow grease is not as strong.

Anyway, I would value any opinion, especially from someone that has successfully replaced one with a regular grade 8 bolt.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

as long as the non threaded part goes thru all the bushings....i would slow down a bit too

3. whitelite

whitelite Member

Thanks--I am an owner operator and I do plow slowly, but there are mountain roads that I plow where rocks, ruts and other places take there toll. I'm thinking that I busted the bolt on one of the roads the other day--I was just a tad above idle speed, about as slow as I can go, and I could feel the bang of the big ruts as I was going.---Hate that road.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

4. NThill93

NThill93 Member

I'm sure you can use a grade 8 bolt but now you're putting the stress somewhere else and other things might break.

5. whitelite

whitelite Member

Thanks! The King Bolt broke right in the middle where the holes are to let out grease. I bought another King Bolt and I'm using it,------it says it's a grade 8 bolt, but they hollow out the center and drill two holes through it to allow for the grease to get to the bearing.

Seems to me that, the King Bolt is a high stress area to begin with, so maybe another type of system should be used. I've got several other plows with King Bolts that are just that......Bolts with no holes (Western and Fisher).

After thinking about it for some time--since I'm very careful and drive slowly... the only thing that makes since to me is that I've added "Wings" to the plow and maybe the extra weight and snow pushed is the reason that the bolt broke? Can't come up with anything else.:confused:

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

hollow bolt with bearings? what type plow?
    all of my commercial series plows are solid bolts without bearings. and what usually breaks is the upper and lower plates.
    but only once. after i weld them i never have any problems.

7. whitelite

whitelite Member

6" King Bolt with Grease fitting - #13531

Plow is a TM Meyer 6.5'

8. leolkfrm

since it is stone, you may want to lift the plow a little more or put a gravel guard on it

9. whitelite

whitelite Member

Agree--I do lift the plow on the bad roads,--- but one especially with bad ruts is a problem...have tried to get the owners to grade the road--maybe next summer---or maybe I should give up the contract.

Oh, I do have a gravel bar on it, ---but thanks for the advise.

1999 Jeep Cherokee 003.jpg

1999 Jeep Cherokee 003.jpg

10. leolkfrm

what size pipe did you use?...in the pic it looks small, i used 2inch

11. whitelite

whitelite Member

It's a 1 1/2 solid bar welded on. :)

12. leolkfrm

nice, must have found a deal on it, i made mine removable just in case, not as durable as yours

13. whitelite

whitelite Member

Yes!......Had a welder friend that was moving out of state and had some extra stock that he made me a deal on.---good for him and good for me.

How long does your removable one last?

14. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

That bolt is just a regular bolt modified for the grease fitting so you should be able to replace with a similar bolt and not having the hole will definitely help. My king bolt is probably 20 years old and is still fine. Meyer greasable pivot pins have had similar issues. All of this can be prevented with about 30 minutes of preventative maintenance by removing the trip springs, pivot pins, and king pin, and greasing the latter two (and whatever else looks like it could use it) and reassembling.

15. rickyp

rickyp Junior Member

i bought a couple extra king bolts for mine last year i was told to use grade 5 so they will break and not the plow i,v never broke one yet i just got them just in case however i broke my pivot pins last year i plow several gravel lots to but i use my shoes for those and it makes it allot easier on every thing

16. leolkfrm

on my 3rd year with the same piece of pipe, had to repair the worn welds last year, i used an old pair of skids to hold it on