1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken horizontal Hinge pin

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bigc1301, Jan 25, 2016.

1. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Hey guys,
    Course we have a blizzard and while driving to the job I notice the drivers side of my Power V-XT dragging, not all the time but different times. I finally get out and look and the bolt and nut are off the horizontal Hinge pin are broke off and the pin keeps coming out.

Question being, A. would this alone cause it to drag or B. am I looking at replacing the push frame also. I tried looking at it but still on the truck and dont see anything noticeable. When the plow is straight it looks fine but when in V it drags some.

THanks for the help

2. 2low

2low Member

I usually replace the horizontal pin in my blades every 4 years
    A. No it would cause it to drag if it's 1/2 way out
    B. My guys generally brake the a fraims I know when it's about time to swap "cores" out when I see one wing closer to the ground, I will take a picture of the a frame I changed last week

3. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

So look at a frame also it sounds like. Guess while Im tearing it down anyways

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

When in Vee, it should push the pin back in, bent A-frame is common.

5. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

It doesnt push it back it i have to push the plow around to get in it place but it does hold it in so doesnt keep backing out

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Check the braces on the truck side mount to see if one is cracked.

7. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

What do u mean braces

8. hark

hark Junior Member

I would be checking as much as I could from the truck mount to the plow framing. Depending on what cause the hinge to break/come loose, there may be other things that are worn or broken.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X2
    I've replaced that pin two times on my V.
    The rest of it could be fine.

10. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

So I replaced the pin. Still drags on the driver side. I tried measuring what i could and im not seeing any issues or differences. Now of course I couldnt take the frame out and look at it cause i have to get all new spring eye bolts cause they are all froze solid even the inpack gun couldnt get them. Im going to have to cut them all off. COuld it be anything else? would it be bent in the center section? Sorry I know i am asking alot. Trying to learn everything I can before I spend the money

11. grandview

Do you still have that rubber adjuster on top of the A frame?

12. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

yes i take it that is the triangle shaped piece on top the frame behind the center section

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's more likely you twisted the wing/blade half itself.

Stand behind the end of the wing and sight down it.
    Or hang a plumbob off each end down to the edge.

Then look at the vertical hinge look at the lower mount/hing pin in for the wing, is the weld cracked?
    Paint flaking?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  14. grandview

put the plow up and rock it and see whats going on.

15. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

The wing doesnt look bent but ill have to look closer. Grandview if i remember(been up way to long) didnt rock much.

16. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

The Driver side is 1 1/2" -2" off the ground and the passenger side is 6-8 inches in vee mode

17. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Thats bad, my guess a frame. Just did mine, was about same measurement, im now at like 2 on ds and 3.5in on pass (brand new cuttimg edges), my wing is bent but close enough now where im not worried. Was hard to tell if a frame was bent until i got it off and laid it on the ground. While replacing those eye bolts for the srpings i got the new style with more metal, and gave em a generous amount of antisieze before reassembly.

18. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Guess its going to be one of those damned if i do damned if i dont. Guess I will try the frame. GUnsworth is your wing very noticable? I dont notice any bending on mine. I looked at the welds and dont see any broke

19. grandview

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  20. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I am at my regular job I will try to get some tonight or tomorrow