1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken hood release cable!?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by old skool, Jun 14, 2008.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Any ideas on how to open the hood on my 97 K30? I think the release cable is either broken or unhooked at the latch. The cable is hooked to the release handle, but no resistance is felt when I pull on the handle to open the hood. Any ideas?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you actually pull the lower dash panel down an check the inner cable where it attaches to the plastic release handle? That's where they usually come apart in these body style trucks.

If it's disconnected or broken out at the latch itself....you gotta go in through the grill for access. :(

3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

This is the solution from the radio show "car talk" related to the same problem.

Take it into a quick lube place for an oil change. They will figure out how to open it for you.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ahh yes, the ultimate answer to any automotive related issue you may stumble upon. :dizzy:

5. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

B&B' I didnt have to pull the panel... you can see the cable is hooked there when you pull the release lever.
    calhoun, good idea...other than I want it to stay closed when they're done ...lol

6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Better yet, take it to a firehouse - they'll be glad to put an axe through the hood and peel it open for ya! :D