1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken hinge pin

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snatchal, Feb 5, 2007.

1. snatchal

snatchal Member

Went out to clean up some drifting this morning. The hinge pin on my boss v-plow snapped off at the base. I wish i would not have even put my plow on. It's 20 below here. I think that's why the steel snapped.
    Does anyone know if the hinges are still available? I have the OLD style plow.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The temps had nothing to do ith it it must have been cracked before.
    Some will argue this point, but -20 is not that cold.

Yes, The vertical hinge pin is still available for your "old plow", you local dealer should have one on there shelf.

3. payton

payton Senior Member

the old hitch pin and the newer hitch pin should be interchangable.. i just rebuilt my older boss v. brand new wings with cutting edges.. and my orginal pin worked on the newer model

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

RTII wings are different than RTIII's.
    Heck we don't know what model he has, he could have a original Boss V.
    The bottom of the pin on a RTII there is no puck or a place to mount one and the new models have an improved cutting edge that fixes the problem.

So, if you have a RTII and you got new wings for a RTII, then your old pin would work.

You needed to get new wings but your pin was still good?

But that should not matter:rolleyes: He still needs a new pin, your local dealer should have one on there shelf.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An RT3 pin will fit any 8.2 or 9.2 V whether it's an RT1, RT2 or RT3 doesn't matter. It's just that the threaded hole in the bottom won't be used on an RT1 or 2. Like Snowfarmer said, the RT2 wings are different than the RT3's but they still take the same pin.

6. snatchal

snatchal Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm up and running again. The pin didn't snap. The bracket that is welded to the top of the pin broke. This allowed the pin to come out of the bottom collar and rise up out about 3 inches. The bracket that is welded about halfway down broke also. I don't think that my bottom collar is threaded. I just pounded the pin back down with a hammer. I had to unhook the springs and rams, but after an hour with a grinder and welder she's puurrty again.:)

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Good deal..
    Don't worry there were no threads in the bottom eye/collar for the pin.

The threaded hole if you use "the puck" it would be at the end of the pin so you could run a bolt up into the pin.