1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken hinge knuckle on Boss 8'2" Poly-V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Riccas, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Riccas

Riccas Member

I noticed after last storm that the bottom hinge knuckle on my driver's wing broke clean away. The knuckle itself is still in the main center section hinge bolt, it spins freely back and forth. I have no idea how steel so thick could just break. Its my plow i use, not one for "the guys" and i can't even remember the last time i hit anything hard enough to trip the plow. Any ideas what could have cause what seems to be massive failure to such a thick steel part? The rest of the plow is in great shape. Bought the plow in November 2004.

Brought the plow down to my local dealer looking for him to weld it to fix it. He told me, no way could you weld that! The ONLY option was to replace both wings with new vxt wings for $3200 or he would give me a new plow and take my old one for an extra $800. Obviously for $800 its a no brainier to have a 8 year newer plow. HOWEVER... that seems crazy to me. First off, i see right on the boss website that i CAN get a non-vxt poly wing (BAL07500), but the dealer told me they don't sell one, only a new vxt wing, so i would need both. This all seems extreme, i can't see why it can't be welded and fixed. He said it would just break again first storm. A weld is stronger than the steel you are working with, so this makes no sense! I'm told its a common problem, so would guys please chime in about fixing by welding :mechanic:

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.
    TIA,
    Rick

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I can't picture what knuckle broke. But a lot of guys on here have either welded it them selves or taken it to a private welder. If your lucky someone will be close to you and could weld if for you for a 18 pack.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Mine broke when it was a year old and dealer told me then they had problem with welds didnt stick to steel this was in 99
    So dealer replace it
    Then 2010-2011 winter it broke again I fix it my self and still holding strong
    He wants sell you a new one He wants to move his old stock so make room for new plows

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your dealer just doesn't want to fool with it. Perhaps for liability reasons or he simply needs to move some inventory, tough to say. Haven't seen a broken wing, eye, or center section yet that can't be properly fixed. It isn't until they're also bent/twisted like a pretzel before they actually need replaced.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

This issue has been going on since Boss V's were boat anchors.

7. Riccas

Riccas Member

2013-01-17 09.52.26.jpg
    2013-01-17 09.52.30.jpg
    2013-01-17 09.53.43.jpg

Pictures from the front and back of the plow. The plow dealer said it looks like snow got caught behind the blade between the center pivot and the plow blade, when it retracted it bent. 3/8-1/2" steel... are you kidding me? I can't back drag with a plow? More like a piece of a rock or curb got caught behind and then i pushed into a pile and MAYBE that bent the back enough to stress the weld so eventually it broke... that i can believe.

Either way i'm going to have to repair it, i can't afford to replace a piece of equipment i use 10-15 times a year. Anyone have any pictures of their repairs?

Rick

2013-01-17 09.52.26.jpg

2013-01-17 09.52.30.jpg

2013-01-17 09.53.43.jpg

8. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

What size plow and which side dr or pass?

We have one brand new and dirt cheap and want to get rid of it

9. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Just found out we have:

passenger side,9'2", steelnew
    anyone interested

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I think I see what might done it Since you said you back drag Look at your cutting edge the center part that curves If you back dragging and that center catches a crack it can bend something or break something I seen this on my MVP I bent my cutting edge from back dragging I cut the corners off when ever it needs it so the center edges wouldnt catch the cracks
    I say thats why it bent and why it broke

11. Riccas

Riccas Member

Is driver's side wing considered left or right? I always thought it was how you sit in the truck, but based on part diagrams, it looks like it should be RH

12. JayN.E

JayN.E Junior Member
    from NY

Take it to your local welder. That wont be a hard fix. maybe $200 and it will be fixed.

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

That's fixable, not the easiest thing in the world but fixable. We seem to see it more on the 9'2's than the 8's but dunno.

I personally think it comes from excess pressure on the tip of the wing, stress over time.

Seeing them apart and thinking of any way imaginable to make it not happen - I just don't see it - I think it's a dang good product that we put a lot of stress into.

When it get's fixed, take your time and do it right otherwise the fix won't last...

Search here, there are many pics of cracks similar to that posted over the years.

14. streamsnow

streamsnow Junior Member
    from Indiana

I'll sell my two 9 2 wings for 800 bucks with the good cutting edge

15. Riccas

Riccas Member

My front suspension maxed out already has my 8'2 wings clipping on corners and driveways, i don't think i want to go up to the 9'2

ANYBODY have any 8'2 wings???

16. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

it looks like its been repaired before .....(an no no) they're not D-9 dozer blades . Stress , wear n tear , especially in severe duty applications, like you just had up there . also noticed a dry hinge . We ****** em before , and after each storm . Our hinges are full of white lithium , there are small lube holes along the hinge .

Now Go for the DXT , you'll love it .ussmileyflag

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  17. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Nothing a rose bud and miller won't fix! We do all our own installs and fix's. Been running and working on Boss plows since 97' and never seen one that bad!

Just put our new 9.2 DXT in service last week and I must say WOW what a plow! Thanks Jim at Equipment Specialties Inc.

18. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

local dealer had no idea/interest in finding the weld in yokes for us we traced out a good one and had a local shop water jet 6 for us cost about $100 dealers want to sell parts not fix plows any good welder/fabricator can fix your plow

19. Afsnowpushers

Afsnowpushers Junior Member

Weld it up, keep that center pin greased, it will last for a while. I have this happen to all of mine at one point or another. You can replace wing. Sounds like dealer wants to sell new plow.