1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken Frame

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by firefighter, Feb 2, 2003.

1. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Just found that my frame on my 1977 chevy short bed truck is broke in have. It has about a 1/4 gap. Its broke between the bed and the cab on the driver side. Tomorrow morning will have to try and fix it. My thought is to use a come along between the front and back axles and try to pull the frame back to gether. Then weld a 1/4 in plate to the out side. Debating on putting a plate on the inside, (brake line). Anyone have any adv ?

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I had a similar frame problem on my 78 Blazer. I had a plate welded on the inside and outside of the frame, and then 6 large bolts were put through as well. Then I spayed rock gard paint all over the back part of the frame, so its is less obvious to the D.O.T if I ever get pulled over.:D
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i would probably clean the entire area, pull it back together, weld the original frame back togehther, grind the vertical bead on the inside flush, then weld a plate on the inside of the rail overlapping the crack by 4 inches or so, and then i would rosette (plug) weld thru the original frame into the plate in about 6 places or so.

good luck
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would plate both sides,well beyond the area where it broke.If it was due to severe rust or corrosion,I would sandblast out the entire area,to see what you have left to weld to,as it may be worse than it looks.

If in doubt,have it done professionally,as that is something you wouldn't want to come apart on the highway on you if it wasn't repaired correctly.

I wouldn't use a come along between the axles,you may bend or damage something.Use a floor jack,or stands on either side of the break,and that should bring it back together.
  5. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Cracked Up

Weld the original frame and plate it one side is plenty, The most important thing is to weld and plate the lower flange that is where the crack started, And that is where the strength of the frame is.
    I have welded many large truck frames some from breakage some when shortening the frame, A plate on one side of the frame web has always held up well.
    Clean the crack up and Vee it out with a grinder it should be a fairly easy job.
    Good luck Hyperpack
  6. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

I pulled the frame back together. welded it, and put a plate on the bottom and outside of the frame. Looks good.

Thanks for all the idea's

Firefighter 73
  7. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

This happen to my Toyota during the big storm. My toyota cracked on both side between cab and bed due to toyota rust problem and pushing snow for 24 hours straight. We welded metal plates on both side of the frame. Definely make sure you remove the gas tank depending on location of welding to be done. After cutting and welding the plate we grinned the rough edge down and sprayed it with (POR), paint over rust. Look good and pretty strong. I probably will add more plates during summer months for more strength. :waving: