1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken frame on 2007 chevy 1 ton

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by grnstripes, Feb 18, 2009.

1. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

Here are the pics of my broken frame on my 1 ton
    sorry I had to start a new thread for some reson I couldn't upload the pics to the old one
    I talked to the attny. gen. today and they said it qualifies for lemon law
    so we started the papper work today
    ohh and it first had the klunking nois at 7546 miles not 14000 like I thought
    the plow was installed at 11546 miles and its been in 4 times for the clunking noise

100_0082.jpg

100_0086.jpg

000_0001.jpg

2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

wow that is horrible man, hope they come through for yea. what truck you going to try next?

3. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

I had alot of people say Dodge but I used to work with the woman at the DMV arbitration office's husband and she said they have horrible resale so maybe ford

4. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Ya might have to buy the Ford period.

If GM and Dodge go under, we may all be driving Ford's. LOL

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Thanks for the pics, but can that really be 10K in damage.... looks like a little time behind the welder will fix that all up..................

6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I can't tell too much from the pics but that sucker looks pretty rusty underneath for an '07!

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

X2!!!! My 2000 isnt even that bad. I think you got a crap frame from the get go there!!!

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

That doesen't apear to be the smae place that I have seen several of chevys crack. The ones that I have seen crack a little bit closer to the cab side. Sucks that it happened but glad att. gen is working on it for you.

9. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

its not all that easy.. it could be welded, but there is a reason why it broke.. and if that reason isnt found out, resolved and then repaird, its likley the same outcome will happen again. being a welder, i wouldnt attempt that fix on a brand new truck with that little miles on it. an older truck, with more miles, i wouldnt think twice.. but in the event that the frame's metalurgy is at fault, its highly likley that there is, or will be other faults else where..

also.. i think that dealer is feeding you a line of bullsh#t... there is no way in hell a local podunk dealership would ever take on a repair of that magnatude... i think they gave you that number and time length it deter you from trying to get it fixed... i could not see a dealer takin on a job like that, tying up a bay and at MINIMUM 2 mechanics for that long.. they would spend more then 10K in labor for 40 days work... not including parts and consumables... IF they fix that truck, i could see it being sent back to the factor for a re-work... or a specialty shop..

i cant stand stealerships

my best friend is having a NIGHTMARE with his 06 ram 1500... he doesnt even plow with it and the front end is falling apart.. the truck is 3 yrs old with 60K on it.. it needs two upper A arms/balljoints, new wheel bearings, and a new tierod end that the stealership already replaced last year on warrenty/recall (that they wont fix) all costing him 700$.. ALSO this will be the 4th time its been in the shop for some kind of repair that isnt schedualed maintenance... the dealer wont help him out so he has a buddy that runs a vinyl print shop on the side... hes going to print out a large yellow lemon and the letters (why buy a lemon from vision dodge?) stick it on his truck...

moral of the story.. dealerships are in place to MAKE money.. so why would anyone expect them or the car manufacturers to stand behind something that will only cost them money in the long run.. i used to be proud of buying american.. now i just buy what doesnt break the longest

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  10. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Yeah that is a rusty truck, look at the lines on the frame. I can believe its an 07

11. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

it looks a little worse in the pic cause it wasn cleaned befor the pic
    plus they use alot of salt and cloride on the roads up here

12. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I think your problem is the 9.5' Fisher V you hang in front of it.

Also my 02' has less rust than that! And they salt like crazy here!!!

Wash your trucks after you salt!

13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not a fluid film expert. I just got my free can to try and see but from what I have read on this site and on the FF site you may try spraying the underside of the truck after it is fixed or replaced. I hope someone with more expierence with FF can chime in here and help out.

14. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

All my years of collision repairs and welding as an AWS welder, I'd pass on doing a frame repair on such a new truck.

If I was making the decision as a repair shop, I'd send the truck back to the up-fitter and remove the dump body and any attaching equipment. Then I would do a frame swap with a brand new frame. A good body shop with a lift can certainly accomplish this in about three days. Once done with the frame swap, I'd send in back to the up-fitter and have the dump body and other attached equipment re-installed. As the repairer I'd also investigate why it broke in the first place, If it was caused by too much weight on the front axle, I'd be putting in a disclaimer on the RO, telling you that an overload would void any service warranty. JMHO

15. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

we went to the fisher dealer today and the double checked and it said you can even put a 10 ft extendable plow on this truck
    we wash the trucks after all storms we just hadn't got that far yet whene we found this crack
    and bolth trucks were going to be undercoated this summer
    it was done wene the truck was new 2 yrs ago so its time for a refresher

16. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

thats what they said they were going to do pull the dump off the cab off and the motor off change the whole frame rail and put it all back together. book says 48 hrs hands on truck plus shipping witch was estimated 3 + weeks

17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

your truck will never be the same IMO, I'd demand a new one....I wouldnt want them switching frames, sounds like even a bigger can of worms.

18. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

I have replaced many truck frames , When it come down to it, the job is simple just a lot of bull work. The job pays 48 hours if done correctly can be done in about 25 hours. I would reather have a new truck though.

19. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Dont wanna be negative when you have your troubles but.....................If your plowing with the truck with the sander loaded up with material. It will stress the frame ......I know it happened to me. The frames are not tough enuf to withstand plowing with a full load on the rear. JMO and experience.

20. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

yup! we got the same truck, 07 3500. Driver and passenger side are broke in the same spot as we speak. Dealer wont warrenty it and they want 8 grand for a frame. Truck has 16k on it.