1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken frame on 2007 chevy 1 ton

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by grnstripes, Feb 17, 2009.

1. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

I will get some pics up later today
    apparentlly the frame broke at 14000 miles ( before a plow was even put on the truck ) weve had it at the dealer sevral times since then for a clunking noise in the front end and the never could find the problem well yesterday we went to change the brake pads and whene we took off the front tire we saw it staring us right in the face the frame was cracked all the way down on the back side and 3/4 the way down on the front. we called the dealer and sent pics before we took it up and later that afternoon they called us and said GM was not going to warrenty it with 27000 miles because they thought misuse could cause that problem ( form the plow or from having a dump body in it ) I bought it as a dump truck that GM put on it before I bought it and as for the plow we were complaing of the problem before a plow was put on. they told me 40 days and 10,000 to fix it and gm will not warrenty th truck with a patch and taged the vin so nobody can patch it legally. im pissed
    so tommorro im going to the attorny genral to file a complant

moral of the story
    DONE WITH CHEVROLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

Thats no good man... honestly, I'm more shocked that GM isn't standing behind it's product than I am that the frame cracked...
  3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

sound's like you need a Ford . J/K

How many dealers have you spoke with ? Call a anther dealer see if they will help you . Sorry to hear that . Do you have any thing in writing from the first time you took it in ?
  4. kmclawn

kmclawn Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your truck. It should be no surprise that GM has probably the worst customer support of any of the big 3. For years GM has built crap and the customer is who has to pay the price. Just for the record I own 2 GM pick-ups and 1 older Ford pick-up. I would recommend taking it to a company that builds trucks to fix it. They are used to repairing and extending frames.
  5. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

I've heard of 3 newer 1 tons with cracked frames recently. I will try to find out what was done or not done for them.
  6. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

I cant even begin to understand why these people dont stand behind their product! It pisses me off and its not even my rig....! Maybe its shady BS like this that put the big 3 in this position in the first place! And maybe its not the manufacturer but your product is only as good as the people that sell it..... IMO..... Good luck with your truck. Hope it works out without having to go through the Atty Gen. :gunsfiring:
  7. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

Its not the dealer that wont cover it its the GM regonal rep that said they wont and the taged the vin so if I went to another dealer it would pop up that they will not cover it thats why im complaining to the attny. Genral maybe if they see they are going to have a leagal battel they will fess up
  8. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

something isn't making sense, how do you know that it broke at 14,000 mi?
  9. x26pfw

x26pfw Junior Member

I am wondering if you contact your states attorney general and your states DOT and ask them for any info on their experience with 2007 chevy 1 tons... I cant imagine the states government would want their employees driving around in similar vehicles... please keep us posted with your pursuits.
  10. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

there it is.... crappy deal man, hope fully they do something for yea.
  11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

That seems like a safety hazard. You should file a complaint with the Federal traffic safety, BBB, etc. You can also go above the regional rep and get an arbitrator involved which is required before the lemon law. Talk to your local service manager ... they know and have to provid you with the steps and policies. It may even be in your owners manual
  12. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

I had a similar problem on my 2001 1 ton chevy dump with a dealer installed dump bed,bought it new, everytime I turned a the wheel would get a loud crack noise dealer said nothing was wrong time and time again Ended up months later at a front end shop on my dime because dealer could not find anything and the A arm bolts were finger tight. Dealer had nothing to say, when the truck turned 35999 It went to **** from fuel pumps to A/C to the hazard light switch (WHICH SCREWS UP TRAILER LIGHTS!) To the tranny and on and on. Gm has really got to get it together sorry to say this is going to be my last new chevy.
  13. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

I think it broke at 14000 miles because we have been hearing a klunking in the front end with the plow on or in 4wd, and they couldnt find the problem. Apperently the noise was the crack in the frame snapping. Thats why we think 14000 was were it originally broke. My guy that is working for Me now Is ASE certified and said that would deffinetly cause that noise.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  14. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

Mine had the tranny rebuilt about 500 miles ago cause the band broke. and the fuel pump last winter wile I sat on the side of the road for 5 hrs waiting for the wrecker ( it was a flat bed TT unit cause I had sand on and a plow and most wreckers cant haul over 10,000 lbs
    guess its time for a ford or dodge
  15. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

The F550 Is lookin better and better to me !
  16. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I would search all the boards and get pictures from everybody. There are people on this site that have had same issue with there trucks. They crack just past the shock tower. Since you cant drive the truck anymore park it across the street and put pictures of Lemons on it. And claim the dealer only sells lemons.
  17. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

any pics to post yet?
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Right, obviously you've never dealt with Ford on a warranty issue.

Do a search, this is a widely known problem. You have plenty of evidence to back up your claim.

You ever hear of this crap from the Japs? Didn't Toyo just buy a bunch of old, old trucks back because of frame issues?

Do you really wonder why the Big 3 are in the shape that they are?

I don't.
  19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Get the regional reps name and mailing adress. Everyone on this board can send him a letter stating how terrible it is that they will not stand behind a warrenty on a 1 ton frame, being used as it should be, for work!

A couple hundred letters and he will change his mind. Also, you should call him directly and ask for his managers name. IF he wont give it to you call your congressman and tell them the situation, and have your case brought up as part of thier poor "quality control" that they need to work on before getting billions of our money.

(politicians love being able to put a citizens name on a project in the name of helping them, become "joe broken GM truck, denied warrenty" mentioned in congress and they will practically throw a new truck at you.)

Hell I would flat out tell the regional rep your going to your congressman over it, telling him how rediculious it is that they can ask for taxpayer $$ but not stand behind thier product.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  20. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

I guess I will have to put the pics up tommorrow
    whene im on my other computer I tried to have the pics sent so i could post
    but having problems receving them
    sorry guys
    they are great pics though