1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken fitting on hydraulic cylinder

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Slither, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Slither

Slither Junior Member

Hi there,I was plowing my yard today,and suddenly lost my side to side shift.I got out and saw that one of the fittings on the right side hydraulic cylinder,where the hose attaches had broken off flush with the cylinder.Do these fittings simply thread in,to the cylinder,so it can be replaced,or are they part of the body,I am hoping for the former,just lost my job due to plant closure and relocation to Mexico and money is tight.also can some one tell me how they measure these cylinders for replacement.I wrapped a tape around the exposed piston and it was 5 inches around the piston, measured 12 inches from one end to the other when extended.Thanks.tymusic

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Fitting just threads in.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

try a nipple extractor. i have used them on hydraulic cylinders and worked great. i picked mine up at the local hardware store for like 10 bucks. its probably worth a shot before u buy a new cylinder.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A bolt extractor will work and just unscrew the broken piece. Napa or a Famr stor will have replacement fittings cheap.

5. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Yep, I believe its a number 2 extractor for fittings (3/8 Nat. Pipe) simple back it out of there and replace.

I carry a set in the truck and an adjustable wrench. Had it happen last year and its an easy fix on the spot weith correct tools.

6. Slither

Slither Junior Member

Great news!!.Thanks guys for your replies and info.Its been a great help,and a big relief.