1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken exhaust bolts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Feb 26, 2010.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

i was trying to replace my exhaust today and broke the two bolts on the flange of the ypipe after the cats so know i have an extremely loud truck but need to get it fixed what is going to be the best way to get the bolts out they are not threaded they are like a star patern that slides threw another star pattern it is an 01 sierra 1500 4.8 if that matters
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Oh that not good.

try acetone mixture with auto transmission fluid 50% then paint around that bolts. then keep soak that you could keep soak.

then in couple hours try loose that if it won't loose then no choice but you would need torch to do that.
  3. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You should always use heat on exhaust bolts and nuts. Unless you like replacing that kind of stuff. You are going to need heat to get the broken bolts out. I don't think any spray is going to do you any good.
  4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

They are pressed into the flange? Cutting torch would be the easiest way to remove them and replace with nut and bolt.
  5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

They are pressed in. You need to heat the flange and pound them out.