1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken cutting edges

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by tbone1471, Jan 30, 2014.

1. tbone1471

tbone1471 Junior Member

We do state highway plowing with tri axles and have been breaking cutting edges like crazy. It seems every storm we break at least 1. We have tried feet and they seem to help a little but not enough to warrant the price. Even hard facing the feet isn't worth it. We are going to try doubling the cutting edges and see what happens. A few of the people we plow with do this and they say it works well. We are currently using the hardened steel edges. Granted we are going 30mph with a 2000lb plow on that edge.

Also, as far as plow support goes it seems everyone caters to small trucks and the big stuff is a lot harder to come by. Nobody really stocks anything. I cant believe I even had to order the plow bolts.

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The more hardened steel is, the more brittle it is. So a softer steel will have a bit more flexibility to deal with impacts. It sounds like a good idea to double up the cutting edge. If you can, using a softer steel should also help.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

cut your speed down to under 20 mph and you will not break as many cutting edges. on the old job we had 2 plow crews. the cowboys, and the old timers. my old timers would not go over 15 mph, and get a full 6 month season out of our cutting edges.
    the cowboys would run 30-40 mph, and get 6-7 hours out of cutting edges. by the time the 12 hour plow session was over, all 9 trucks would be running without cutting edges.

4. tbone1471

tbone1471 Junior Member

I can see how using a cheaper soft cutting edge would break less but I think it would wear faster.

Ironically, I plow with the slow guys. When the roads are covered with snow we average about 20mph. When we are going back and cleaning up we go about 30.

Lately every call out has been over 15 hours. It just drives me crazy that one truck will have an edge that lasts several storms and another that barely makes it through one. The trucks are in the same plow train so they are all going the same amount of road miles.

5. jasonv

from kannada

You're right, of course, that softer metal will wear faster, but keep in mind that doubling up the edges will reduce the contact pressure and make it wear longer.

Also, its better to wear faster than break right off...

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

We have two trucks on road patrol. They both have double edges on the reversible with curbguards, and 2-3 edges on the wings, along with a curb guard. I would not suggest going to "softer" edges for a road plow, there's a good reason everyone runs high carbon edges on them........

7. jasonv

from kannada

Softer doesn't mean aluminum.

8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

How about you post a link to the "softer" municipal edges you speak of??????????