1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bumpkis, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

Not sure how to move a thread, I posted this in the Curtis forum and am pretty sure it should be here.

I broke my cutting edge the other night. When I talked to the shop I use they offered to give me a 1/2" thick edge. The Curtis edge is 3/8" thick. Should I replace it to match the original 3/8" edge or go with the 1/2"? Are there any cons to going to the 1/2"?

P1090566.JPG

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Who has the 1/2 for a curtis?

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

go with 1/2". lasts longer.

4. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

It isn't from Curtis, the fabrication shop makes them. I bring in the old one and they will line up and punch out the holes. Total cost, $80

5. cretebaby

I was told that steel soft enough to punch wasn't worth putting on as cutting edge.

6. LON

LON Senior Member

if it is 1084 steel it has to be drilled w/ special bits (usually in a mill) and then all you're punching out are the corners.

7. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

So what do I ask to know the steel they are using is strong enough, if it is 1084?

8. VEGGIEPLOW

VEGGIEPLOW Member

go with a 7inch wide by 1/2inch thick piece of T1 steel (bulldozer steel).. if your blade is a 7.5 the edge will weigh 90lbs.... i just bought and did this to my 7.5 snopro 3000... and btw, save yourself some money and dont have them punch the holes... tourch them out yourself.... take off the old blade, vice gripe the new blade up at the 3.5 inch (middle) take your curtis touch up paint can and spray where the holes are... take it off, and tourch the new holes, and grind clean... replace with all new grade 8 hardware.... you can flip the blade to use the upper portion when the lower portion is ground down.....do this, believe me... i found out the hard way the first time when i sent my local steel yard my old cutting edge to use as a template.. they measured, and boy they got it WRONG!! everyone knows that a template is used to lay over or 'mirror' the other.. not those guys:laughing:

9. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

Thanks for the help, I will call Monday and see what kind of steel they plan on using.

10. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Whatever you do make sure you go with the 1/2. They use the 3/8 to save on #. You will not chip off the 1/2 if you do you will be picking up pieces of your truck, cause whatever you hit will def. F your truck up...

11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Looks like you were due for a new edge anyway. There is no disadvantage with a thicker edge. But the 1/2 inch ones can break and bend also. I have done it.

12. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

Well, the steel from the fab shop is not as strong as the original edge. To upgrade, material alone is $175. My local Curtis dealer has the factory edge in stock and claims it is T1 for $130. It seems to me I will be better off with 3/8 T1 than 1/2 inch hot rolled.

13. cretebaby

Who is your Dealer?

14. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

Ackerson Door in Caledonia IL.

15. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Hot rolled won't last at all. You have to go with cutting edges. 5/8" are also available and we usually get a couple seasons running them with feet on the fishers.

16. LON

LON Senior Member

I doubt it is T1. Couldn't punch it.
    1084 or maybe 1090 material. 1084 is what we have our blades made out of.
    @ 130 does that include bolts?
    could do a 1/2" x 6" for that amount and include bolts

17. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

We put on a 5/8 cutting edge on last season, They are available.

18. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The holes are punched before the metal is hardened. Lots of T 1 edges out there. I have them on my Blizzard from factory.

19. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

I emailed Curtis and they said their cutting edge is 1080.

20. plowking15

plowking15 Member

You could ask your local highway dept. where they buy their edges. I can buy widder and thicker edges if I want at some municipal supplies that sell to the cities and towns in NH,sometimes the prices are pretty good. We can also buy carbides for the graders,trucks but they are expensive. The holes come square so the bolts won't spin when you tighten the nuts. We have bought plow bolts from fastenal if we couldn't get them at the municipal supply.I beleive the bolts are carbon steel. plowking