1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken contract

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snoluvr, Dec 8, 2005.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I know this is not the preferred forum area, but figure it will get more views. I have a plowing customer, who has signed there third annual contract with me. I went Sunday to plow, and it was already finished. I have left numerous messages all week, with no return call. This morning, the maintenance director had someone from another dept. call and tell me they changed companys.
    Would you enforce this, as they may make life impossible all winter? It is worth almost $10,000, and I also turned down other jobs for this one. Any ideas??thanks
  2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

SUE SUE SUE SUE!!!! Get all the damages you can, they signed the contract!
  3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

All depends on the wording of your contract. and was it signed. Did you offer a discount because of the long turm contract? Did you spend any aditional funds because of this contract? (like buy a new truck, or put up more ice melter, etc.) Was there a penialty for braking the contract? Would they try to make you preform if you wanted to brake the contract?

If the contract is strong enough that they could sue you if you did not preform then it it should be in reverse. Is it worth it? only if you want to see a lawyer get the money because you will never see much of it. On average it will take over a year to collect.
    Only you know if it is worth going after them because only you know all the details.
  4. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have serviced them for three years. This year they signed a contract for the season. I have always plowed as they expect..squared off corners, every white line showing, every spot open...Very demanding, but pays well.
    He signed, but now seems to want his buddy to do it..Too bad for him..I will not let this one go.I turned down other work, and purchased another shop to store all the equipment.Love these people who think they can go around messing with there contractors.
  5. little pat

little pat Member

Definitely sue, you declined other work for them. You are entitled to get paid as per the contract.