1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken Connector Pin!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TWrench, Feb 11, 2008.

1. TWrench

TWrench Junior Member

Hi all, my Ultramount wiring harness connector has a broken pin in it. The other night the left headlight started flickering off, and when I pulled over to check it, I pushed the connector together and smoke started rolling out of it!!! Pulled it apart and found the pin broken off from corrosion and now I have no left headlight on the plow. Any tips to fix the pin or should I just splice into the harness on each side of the connector with a disconnect so I can take the plow off when I want to? Tips and or tricks would be appreciated! Thanks

KINNCO Senior Member

that's what I woud do until after winter.
  3. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Can you wire the left and right lights together, saving the need to cut into the connector harness.
  4. StathemLawncare

StathemLawncare Member

is it the 9 or 11 pin. Mine is a mvp and i broke the same one.Went to dealer and got a repair harness,but have the wrong one.Just ordered the right one.Look and see which one it is.Make sure to look and see if the pins are offset or straight.I have the 11pin harness that is straight and would sell at a discount to get rid of.Bought in the spring of 07 and found it was wrong this winter.
  5. StathemLawncare

StathemLawncare Member

forgot to ask truck side or plow side
  6. TWrench

TWrench Junior Member

It's the 11 pin (Isolation Module System). The pin corroded off the plow side. I think, after reading the schematics a few different times now, that if I jump the black to black wires with a wire, I should be able to get things working again for the time being. I don't know much about the repair harness you mention though. Could you fill me in on this part? How much, and do you have a part number. It's -20 outside right now, and I have no access to a heated garage, so I might have to wait until it warms a little later in the week to do something about it. Any other ideas would be appreciated. THanks!
  7. StathemLawncare

StathemLawncare Member

My harness is for the truck side.Just stop by a local western dealer or go to central parts warehouse to order one. Real simple to fix just match wire color and crimp together.Just make sure to look at pins and get the right one.Depending on if the pin are straight or offset meaning top and bottom rows the one i have was like $70 and the right one was around $120 i think.
  8. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

run a sheet rock screw into what is left of the pin a little ways.then pull the screw back out cut the head off and screw it back in with pliers.i have done to several plows to keep them going.one truck i ran two seasons that wat.
  9. TWrench

TWrench Junior Member

Thanks for all the replys guys (ha... that rhymes... ). Anyways, I bypassed the pin with a little wire until I can get a repair harness this summer. Seems to be working fine now. The screw idea is good though, I thought about trying something like that, but didn't wanna mung it up worse than it already was. I made sure to liberally coat the remaining pins with dielectric grease though, to avoid this problem in the future. Guess it's one of the risks of buying a used plow. Once I wear this one out, I'll buy a new one next time... it's a business write-off anyways... but the little "cheap demon" on my shoulder got the best of me this time.