1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken Coil Studs can they be fixed?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Nascar24, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Broken Coil Studs can they be fixed?

I have a couple of coil studs on a pump that have snapped off, I've replaced them with new ones but was wondering if I disassemble valve stems can they be drilled and tapped for new studs? there seems to be pleanty of material at the top of the stem? even though of silver brazing the studs in place after being threaded in>

Just wondering if that repair would work?

2. lohr

lohr Junior Member
    from 18411

Nascar 24,We just get a 1/4 inch bolt cut the head off and then weld carefully the bolt to the top of the valve,when you are done welding clean up the weld ,let it cool off and then stick it back .We have had good success doing this .Good luck
  3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I have acess to a nice bridge port which would make quick and easy work to just milling off the remains of the old stud and just drill and tap for a new stud.
  4. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I ended up drilling, taping, and replacing my old valves. It works just fine and make sure that it is centered.
  5. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I've welded on a new stud with a mig welder and it worked fine.
  6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Just to report back

Set up the old coil in the bridgeport, milled off the remains of the stud, drilled down enough to get a few strong threads, and tapped it with a 1/4-20 bottom tap, took about 15 min! I used a grade five bolt and then silver brazed it in place, cut off the head chased the thread and all done in about 20 min!

I reassembled the stem and installed it into the pump and everything seems to be in order, sure beats $60 bucks for a new C valve, and it takes a lot less time than navigating some site to purchase one!

Thanks for your advise

7. ywg396

ywg396 Junior Member
    from canada

I know it's an old thread, but I repaired the studs on a B and C coil last night. Used a lathe to center drill the broken stud. Drilled and tapped it for 1/4-28 fine thread. I then used lock tite to hold in the home made stud.

The only thing to watch for, is not to drill too deep into the valve. I went in about .180"

Use some anti-seize while reassembling and you should be good to go.