1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken center pin help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 99f250superduty, Jan 5, 2014.

1. 99f250superduty

99f250superduty Junior Member
    from boston

This is the second western pro 3 spring 8 foot this season that broke in the same place. Has anyone had this happin before? It seems to me this a weak spot on these. Please give advice how to fix. I'm sure I can weld back together. Both pistons now are extended forward. How do I push them back?

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Pics are worth a thousand words.

There has to be some slack (tolerance) in the mating parts.

3. 99f250superduty

from boston

I can't post them off my phone. I could email to you.

4. 99f250superduty

from boston

pic of broken hole

Theres is a bolt that goes through the circle which broke off the front. Its now a u. Why do these keep breaking?

5. johnhenry1933

The sleeves are a notorious weakspot on the ultras. This is doubly true if you purchased it in a weakened (split, rusted, torn, etc.) and proper repairs are never made. The proper repair is to cut out the sleeve (circle as you call it) and weld on a new one. You can purchase a new pin if you need to, and fabricate the sleeve yourself if you have a welder.

6. 99f250superduty

from boston

Thanks John Henry

7. 99f250superduty

from boston

One more question. Both pistons that angle the plow are fully extended. What's the best and safest way to push them back?

8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

loosen up on the hoses will let the pressure out. Then just push em in,

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

you mention it is a 3 spring western pro plow. western hasn't made a 3 spring pro in about 15 years. not surprising that after 15 plus years the plow would fail at the pivot point (I'm guessing when you say center pin you mean the pin the blade pivots on?). as mentioned, pics would help.

they are easily repaired with a welder and some fabricating skills.

10. 99f250superduty

from boston

If I'm going to bleed the hydraulic fluid out of the pistons do I disconnect the line at the piston or at the pump?

11. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Easier if you disconnect it at the pump, then you can put the hose somewhere to catch the fluid. Unless you don't care about spilling all the fluid on the ground.

12. johnhenry1933

Also, if there's some contamination in the rams, you can flush by putting cleaner or ATF in a container and submerging the ram hose in it while extending that ram...the other ram will be ejecting fluid out at this time (because you are compressing it). Vice versa on the compression stroke. A few times on each ram will flush the rams if need be.

13. 99f250superduty

from boston

Thanks this was a big help.

14. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Only western I had fail broke at the pivot. I think it happens alot with any plow.

15. 99f250superduty

from boston

I unhooked the pistons and the plow came off. Seems to me a lot of weight to put on that one bolt .

16. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

The weight isn't really on the bolt but that's where it pivots and wears out.