1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken Boss

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by fastby250cc, Jan 11, 2007.

1. fastby250cc

fastby250cc Junior Member

I came home from plowing New Year's and when I went to take my plow off, I found this.
    I called Boss and they immediately called the distributor in my area who in turn contacted me. The new part came in today and the distributor cut out the old piece and welded in the new one while I grabbed some lunch. Just wanted to share, this is one happy Boss snow plow owner!

[​IMG]

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

HOLY SH!T. I have never seen that before. How do you think that happened? Couldn't you tell your plow was lifting up funny or anything? That scares me. What kind of plow is it, a Vee or straight blade? And how big? If that happend to my plow I would have wanted a whole new light tower put on it, just to make me feel better. But that is just me.

Ryan

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have seen that damage posted by others on here and in other places before.

One of the benefits of a chain lift system is that the chain takes a lot of the shock of the plow. Not trying to start a brand war here or saying one is beter than the other, but you would not see that on a chain lift. Might have a chain break but that is a lot easier to repair.

At least it was fixed for you.

4. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Holy Crap!!! BOSS plows rule out here, most popular plow there is here, and have never seen or heard of that happening. Glad you got it fixed.

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

That breack actually isn't all that uncommon.

I don't know the year, but within the last three or four, I heard Boss had upgraded the size of the tubing used (the tube that broke).

An easy fix, way stronger than just rewelding the tubing, add a piece of flat stock on the back side and just above the tube - one piece, weld to the tube and to the tower.

It really isn't that big of a deal, just part of working your stuff too hard.........

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Nice, real nice. that s@#ks

Common?? That is the first I've seen but that is not saying much.;)

You would never see that happing with the RTII design.

7. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

:dizzy: I think I would be mad, But glad you got it fixed. Maybe reinforce the tube?

8. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

What, do they attach the lift cylinder directly to the plow?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's not the first one of these I've seen broken. fastby, was you surprised by all the thicker the cross tube was after it broke? I was, the first time I saw the inside of one. The tubing is paper thin. It's a wonder BOSS didn't have more problem's than they did with this thin walled cross bar. When I fix one I usually replace the entire tube with a section of 2 in, 1/4 wall tubing rather than patching what's left of the old bar.

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Boss plows as well as snoways and some others hook the lift cylinder directly to the lift frame and a-frame, sometimes there is some linkage but it is still solid. Fisher, Western, Meyer use chains for the conenctions which provides some shock absorbtion.

11. fastby250cc

This is actually the second Boss plow that this has happened with. My friend Neil, who I got into plowing with saw his break 2 seasons ago. He went through the local Chevy dealer who is a Boss re-seller and after 15 months (had the broken tube welded) got a whole new light bar setup.

When I talked to Boss they has said they had a new design with a much larger tube. The new tube is huge and has a really thick walls. I guess it is the same tube from the Vs. The old tube was really thin and small (see picture below).

The thing that still gets me, is with this design, if you are stacking snow into a pile, as soon as you come out of 'float' when the plow is coming up, any upward force on the plow is all taken by that ram and bar. There is no slack in the design as in the chain setups, but then again I have never backed out a pile with my plow coming off of the chain... :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

last season i did exctly the same thing.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your right on the money about the lift cylinder pushing on the cross bar during stacking. Some of the one's that I've had to fix I noticed that the cracking started on the TOP of the bar which would make sense if the cylinder was pushing "up" on the the bar. The Boss's have no blade stop's on the A frame so they rely on the lift cylinder to stop the blade from going too high thus putting tremendous stress on the cross bar while stacking hard.

14. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

It took four years for mine to break - and I'm not gentle on equipment by any means. that plow is my HAMMER......... Probably not the best thing to do, but it's mine and if I ever sell it, it was waxed and polished every nite, and only did my driveway with it LOL

Seriously though - do not just reweld that pipe, it'll be weaker than the original. A piece of flat stock welded in there and that part will never break again, something else may. The new plows have a thicker tube supposedly.

here's a pic of an example fix::

2007_0112Image0001 (2).JPG

2007_0112Image0001 (2).JPG

15. fastby250cc

My broken tube(s) was completely cut out and the new style tube, from Boss was welded in. The new tube has got to be 2 or 2.5 in diameter.

16. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Holy crap, that is crazy! Im not gonna lie to you, we are not easy on our plows and we have never had that happen! Was that on a RTIII??? Thats what we have, and have never had that happen before!

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, all the pics are of RTIII style plow's. fastby250cc, did you by your plow new? What year? Boss did upgrade the cross bar eventually.

18. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

That sounds like an engineering nightmare! I would nerver buy such a setup, too many possibilities for breakage.

I'll take a chain falling off once in a while.

19. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I don't see any advantage of having a chain lift. With my Boss there is no bounce when traveling down the road. The plow is just more rigid, and I see no benifit to the old style chain lift! Convince me if I am wrong!

20. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I have an older RT3 mount. It is square tube instead of the round tube.
    Has anyone had any problems with this design? Whey did boss change from square stock to round stock?