1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken BOSS cutting edge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Brad3403, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Last February I had my local BOSS dealer supply and install new cutting edges on my BOSS 9.2 V-Plow. After 5 times using the plow, the inside 8 inches of the cutting edge broke off on the passenger side. BOSS says they won't warranty it. I could see if it was an outside edge (hit curb or something) but an inside......anyone else have this happen????

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

yes, we have snapped the straight edges many times.
    If your wing is bent a little it will happen more often.
    A solution is to get the new formed edges, they are much thicker and stronger.

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

My ***** is that BOSS won't warranty it. I'm thinking the metal used must have been fatigued for it to break that soon.

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

most warranties will not cover abuse from the operator striking an object.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I know guys that have bought brand new plows and have broken the cutting edges on the first time out and they wern't warrantied. SF is right the new edges ae 40 times better.

6. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

Thats why on major purchases, even if I have the cash, I use the credit card. Its situations like this, where everyone knows its not the customers fault, and that the product failed. You call visa, explain the situation, and get credit for a new cutting edge. its a lot of phone calls, maybe showing proof of you only using it 5 times. and in most cases you have a credit on next month's bill.

Remember thou, not all visa companys do this is if your making business purchases on a personal card. you have to shop around and get all the info, best to have a card in the biz's name....

The dealer can also expect a nice chargeback for the whole thing, or they can push the warranty, get a tip and have another happy customer.

times like these. dealers better respect. theres other plow companys out there.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:That is not right..
    Even if he broke it in the first 20ft.
    An edge is a consumable part.
    it is not unbreakable

What you are doing is theft by credit card.especially when it is not covered under the warranty and your not letting the dealer to see it first..
    Your denying the dealer an oppertunity to do his job.

If you buy a new truck and crash it do you stop payments because the dealer will not warranty it?

8. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

crashing a truck and having a plow company use faulty steel ( fisher v plow cutting edges, NY 2006) is a different thing.

You did not understand my post, and made your own assumption that someone would not let the dealer at least look at it, I did not say, just call and do a charge back, he has already had his dealings with the company, they refused to help. go to BBB call your CC company, call the manufactures regional, if I had a edge crack in 20 feet. you would not want to be in my county..thats just total failure of the product.

and credit card theft is not calling and doing a charge back. trust me, american express has investigators for charge backs on items where (no credit limit) folkd shops and buys things and they dont ask how much it is. but when it fails, then the cc does there homework.

every one should know by now that v plows had weak steel to make the bends, now its a 4 piece. I do recall what type model the man above had ( v plow) but 5 uses seems like failure. if he has tracking sheets that shows he used it 5 times in 5 storms and plowed 150 properties in those 5 storms, thats different. every story is different.

And the fact that I am a Private Investigator, and snow plow business owner/operator, I dont have the balls to rip off CC companys or any other company for that matter. Laws are in place for reasons, if you know how they work, your ahead of the game.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:
    PI this.

new plow.
    7k+ truck
    Accelerates in to a fixed object 20ft away.
    How much force was exerted on the edge?

Edge snaps..

faulty operator or faulty edge?
    I can ascertain that you have a beef with a plow company.
    How does everyone know this is not the customers fault?
    You use your credit card to leverage you position so you can screw a innocent dealer if need be.
    I can see why dealers give a discount for cash.;)

When steel is bent, be it formed, forged or just bent if done properly is stronger than a straight piece is..

10. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

can you explain that to me with your skillset of steel fabrication

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

When you try to change the subject like you just tried to do by attacking me, just shows me that I'm right about you.;)

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im gonna agree with snofarmer as fare as the operator thing goes

you hit something.... you broke it, i dont think it just went bad on its own, for sure if it did, the crack would have happend the first time you dropped the blade on pavment

i dont call what your doing credit card faurd, but its very creative leverage, and isnt 100% correct in what your doing, especially with a part that they tell you ahead of time, isnt going to be warrentied... what do you expect... if you drive over nails, should the truck manufacture replace your tires for free?

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

While that may not technically be fraud, it is in my book.

While a broken cutting edge could possibly maybe have a hair line crack, the odds are so slim.

Steel is forged or rolled to size. A part that is heat treated is formed, then heat treated to a determined hardness.

I see so many whiny kids on here that complain that oh my plow had a little scratch, my plow bent, my edge cracked. NEWS FLASH - use your plow one nite and it will have a scratch. Hit a curb and it will bend. Hit a manhole cover and you could break an edge.

Just like retailers factor in x% for idiots like yourself holding back money for inapproiate reasons, you should factor in x% for repairs and maintaining your equipment.

14. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

"W"

framer1909 take a read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forging

I guess theres nothing else to add to the thread, well me being a idiot, its a miracle I can run a business and use DD plows with new edges and not have them break and make a profit.

15. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I've hit granite curbing with mine, and chipped chunks of granite. My edge is fine.

Im just sayin'

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Great.....another thread to sit back and watch with something to drink and some popcorn. :dizzy:

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Well who knew....;)

I'm just say'in......

18. ContLand

ContLand Junior Member

Boss cutting edges...

We've run about seven trucks all with Boss V blades for the last 7 years, all without trouble except for the last two years. Same plows, same operators...broke the original edges on two and replaced them, only to replace them three more times in the same winter without changing the other ones at all. I feel that Boss has gone to inferior steel lately to cut costs and we end up paying for it in the end. Hopefully the new blades we ordered this year will be better with the curved ends.