1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken bolt help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by WOODY367, Sep 5, 2016.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I broke 2 of the mounting bolts/studs on my intensifier light while trying to take them off to paint. I had soaked them for day with PBblast and Kroil with no luck. I then used heat and they broke right off. Before I break the other 2 does anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to replace the ones the broke as thee is really no room inside the light?

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

On the other two grind the nuts down on the flats in s fee spots and split the nuts. Remove the bolt plates. Get new hardware. Rivit back together.

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Regular pop rivets will be strong enough to withstand the bouncing and vibration?

5. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

I don't think the broken one is repairable as to the other one that's still on id run whats called a chase dye 1/2" coarse right up both studs till u top out at the 1/2 inch nut to clean up the threads then set up a pneumatic gun to high torque low speed then heat each nut to cherry read and put the air gun to it and don't stop till it breaks or the nut comes off some people pre heat the nut and pb spray it a few times to work the happy juice in before u "go for it" the price of one light is about $150 or so so id recommend craigs or ebay to sell the entire set up u have and buy a whole new intebnsifier kit for about $275 good luck

6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I have an air riviter that does 1/4 rivits. Tiny rivits, no.

7. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

You could also use Cherry rivets. Expensive, but are designed for aircraft structural work. Aircraft Spruce would be one place to get them. The only problem is if you have to ever remove them you have to drill out the locking collar

8. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

Meant to say Cherry Max, although there are Cherrys that look like, but are superior to, standard pop rivets.

9. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I had one of the three studs break on mine.I ended up going and getting a bolt with the same thread. I ground down the broken stud so it was flat and welded a new stud on.That was 6 years ago it the light is fine never shakes or moves way easier then drilling rivets out.Word of advice next time mask the lights and bolts off clean them up and spray paint them gold