1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

broken A-Frame

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by martyman, Feb 17, 2006.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I would have posted this in the Welding Fabrication forum, but I can't seem to sign into it. Last night my A-frame broke again...do you think it would be a good Idea to weld in a piece of tube for the bolt to go through? or would it make it difficult to line up? any advice on making this stronger would be great.

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Why not just get a new A-frame?It looks like the bolt holes have been elongated also.Sometimes it is just less of a headache to get a new one
  3. go plow

go plow Senior Member

same here, you can only weld/ fix things so much, i would get a new one, and if you really wanted to fix that one, keep it as a spare....... what i would do to fix the one you have is, i would cut off both peices and fab new ones weld them in place , good as new, by trying to fix where the whole is, its always going to be a weak point.....
  4. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

get your grinder out and grind the welds off those plates
    make new ones and yes i would use a thick walled piece
    of stock and while your at it put a zerk fitting in the middle
    a little grease does good....jmo
  5. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I recently bought a 220/100 amp stick welder and I think I did and ok job...I 70 residential, so it should last me until the end of the season.
    My plow is really beat, so I will try and replace it next year.

6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Just because there is globs of weld doesn't mean its strong.Just keep that in mind.
  7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Your on the right track but you need to redo the plate. Just use cutting wheel and make new plates they are worn get the measurements of the plates and then wack them off and replace them..
  8. martyman

martyman Senior Member

polite way of saying my welding sucks LOL I added some reinforcement plates and tried it this morning on some iced piles and so far it's holding up fine.
  9. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Make sure you don't have a bent and binding angle cylinder. If one is binding the stress on the pivot bolt is like a hydraulic shear. The good cylinder tries to close the binding cylinder since it doesn't move easily all of the force is on your bolt .
  10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

If it was mine i would first clean old mounting with grinder the weld on 2 new mounting plates.

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Once that hole elongates enough you can be overextending your cylinders also. This will damage the some of the guts sending pieces into your pump. I would check that and clean it out well. Pieces may eventually lodge in the valve spools. It could get expensive if rams have been bottoming or topping out.
  12. dichdoc

dichdoc Junior Member

I posted some pics in my thread titled Antique sno-way only comes up 4 inches (wouldn't let me post them again). I screwed around scabbing my old Aframe together and then built a new one. I think your repair looks alittle week. Mine had and has schd 40 pipe the size of the bolt welded to the top and bottom plates, as well as being tacked to the square tube of the A frame. I have $60 in materials into all new A frame and plow mount (everyhting thats black) I couldn't have bought one as mine is so old! Travis
  13. martyman

martyman Senior Member

good info thanks...My rams are pretty clean actually (only thing left on the plow that is). I might end up buying a new A-frame and mold board if I can't find a better condition plow for next year.