1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broken 4wd 04 f250sd

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by black99, Dec 31, 2008.

1. black99

black99 Junior Member

well i went to locl the hubs today and moved the lever to 4h and nothing. Dealers closed til friday...any hints to what to try? i know nothing about the system. its a 2004 f250 with manual hubs. i know the ESOF system is known to be problematic but i figure manual would be reliable. Theres no noises when shifting to 4...i can hear the transfer case lock but the hubs wont lock the shafts to the whels? could they be stuck? cheap fix? do i need new ones?
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

is it possible one is unlocked?
  3. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

springs are broken
  4. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Try a pair of Warn hub lockers. No plastic all metal!

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

ya I have the warns on my truck. the oem ford ones sucked. plastic garbage lol
  6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

How hard is the install? Can you do it yourself? Cost?
  7. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

where did you get those hubs and how much were they I am interested. How much of a job is it to install them?
  8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I did a set on my old truck. Bunch of snap rings and you need spandue(sp) socket to remove hub.
  9. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Warn lockers are 250 a set . EASY install!
  10. 01SMOKINSD

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

I replaced my ESOF hubs about 2 years ago with a set of Warn hubs. Best thing I have ever done. I blieve they were less than $200. There are no special tools needed. Just a pair of pliars to remove the "wire" snap ring on the factory hubs, and a pair of needle nose pliars and allen wrench to tighten the new hubs. You may also need a pair of regular snap ring pliars as well. Shouldn't take any longer than maybe an hour tops to replace both sides.
  11. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

12. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

Its an easy job as long as the retaining rings that hold your old hubs on are not full of crud and stuff but after that..... shes smooth sailing! An hour and youll have both of em swapped out. The only concern i had about the whole specifics of the deal was the torque on the inside nut.... I think they say something like 175 or 200 ft/lbs of torque...... Thats a little too much in my opinion but I would check with someone else that knows a little more about it than me.!
  13. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Torque on what inside nut?

99-04 Super Duty?
  14. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i put the warn hub locks on my 02 superduty. it took longer to get the old pos ford units off than it took to put the new ones on.

remove the snap rings that hold the stock hub locks on.
    take a rubber mallet and a large pair of channel locks, and get the old hubs off. put the inner half of the warn in. install the new snap ring. put the outer warn lock on, tighten up the 6 allen wrench head bolts, and you are done. it took me 20 minutes to get the old ones off, and 5 minutes to put the new warns on.
  15. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

I had to put the conversion kit on there too..... I was talking about the lock nuts that came with that.
  16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

what is this conversiom kit??
    did you have ESOF with auto hubs??
  17. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Dynatrac Free Spin or Solid Axle Spyntec kit?

They are the only conversion kits for 99-04 SDs and they convert to fixed spindles with the spanner nuts that hold the wheel hub to the spindle.