1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broke the Push Frame 7.5ft straight blade

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Avitare, Dec 24, 2010.

1. If Christmas dinner guests were not waiting,.. I would research more tonight (my appology)

Tore the pivot sleeve out today. We are planning on taking it apart and welding pieces back in Sat early afternoon. Santa is busy in the morning and hope to have a handle on this by afternoon.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks to Plowsite for many times the members have helped
    tc

2. time to search

Guests are gone and I am looking for suggestions on how to weld the sleeve back into
    the Push Frame.
    Someone must have done this before,..

This plow is a 1999 Standard duty. I beefed other things with and extra spring and a shock.
    I have used a yard guard pipe on the edge almost exclusively. I just took it off last week
    to clean up some paved driveways when temps rose.

I didnt hit anything today but sure have in the past.

I can take a picture tomorrow but not sure how to post it.

Any suggestions on how to make this work again and maybe better than new,..
    would be helpful

thanks anyone
    tc

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would re-box the end of the frame in and then fill the old hole in and then re-drill it if I couldn't get a replacement until monday. Personally I would just replace the whole A-frame if it happened to me. But that's just me. It has been done on here before. Do a search in the search box and something will pop up.

4. replace the A / push frame

I will look at the replacement but it looks like we can weld this.
    not much extra room with this system

Not snowing yet but sure I cant get an A frame until at least Monday.

Search hasnt come up with anything similar yet
    tc

5. found the same break 12-17-2007

searched the last page first and found Secret_weapon posted the same break back
    three years ago -- with pictures.
    I dont know how to paste his post # 53837 (?)

I sent him a pm but that post was ancient

thanks again
    time to sleep and wait for santa
    tc

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you copy the link that is in the address bar when you open his post you can then paste his link in your new post. And then whoever wants to view his post can do when reading yours.

7. Fixed it,.. didnt take the after pictures but the sleeve was able to be welded (by a good welder) in place.
    There was evidence that the lower end was broken for awhile and surface of brake was rusted.

The factory welding was rather minimal but had the advantage of being able to weld across the exposed
    end. But that is where it tore out.

Jesse welded with some strong rod down inside the box and got good penetration.
    A little clean up and we were able to slide the box in the plow frame. The extended turning cylinders were
    the most time consuming. We ended up cracking the fittings to let some fluid out and push them
    back in place.

All works well. I intended on using anti-seze on the pivot bolt and forgot. Quick disassembly tomorrow
    and fix that.

Lessons learned.
    thanks
    tc

8. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Send Boss a email so they can improve on this for the future.

9. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Had mine break on my V plow about 8 inches from the pivot on the plow. I was advised by a few people that I shouldn't re-weld for a permanent fix as the frame is probably twisted a bit.

10. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

I wish the A-frame looked something like Western's Contractor Grade plows, that is beef! Love the Boss blades, just need to beef up the A-frame, we used to go through A-frames on the Meyers back when they were popular and now its the same thing with the Boss blades. Great blade just needs a little attention.