1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broke My Lift Chain

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Gicon, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Unreal......2 year old plow going on its 3rd season. Midway up the chain, a link just opened up. Still cant figure out how it would let go. Question is, do I replace it with another factory chain, or go down to my local chain and wire store and have them make me up something nice????
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

any chain will work i would keep a spare in the truck as a backup
  3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I dont know as a backup. This is not a common thing. It better not become common now...
  4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

buy a grade 100 chain.. Im sure all they use on something like that is grade 40..
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Too bad you weren't running boss, without the chain.

Lol, don't worry, I'm just yanking your chain:rolleyes:

Since I imagine its a MM2 with all that spring and cable deal on there, I would go order a fisher chain. I don't even know if it would affect it since I've never really looked to close at the fishers. But its just a thought. If its cheaper and will not effect the spring cable thing, just go to the chain store.

Good Luck!
  6. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Haha last storm mine pulled the hook right out of the lift frame where the cylinder is. My dad is a welder and said it looks like it was never welded properly from the factory. Luckly he was willing to fix me up at 4 AM.
  7. karol

karol Senior Member

That has happened to me twice. Took the timbrens off and never again.
  8. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I stuffed mine into a pile wrong last year and the chain snapped right in the middle. I never found the top half that flung away when it snapped.
  9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

The spring/cable set up pulls down triangle and is not affected by the chain. So any chain would work. I agree with spitz get a heavier chain it cant hurt
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You cant yank my chain....its broken
  11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Should I guess that the truck absorbs more of the "bounce" now with the Timbrens removed? I'd think adding the heavier chain might be a good option as well -- likely to handle more stress of road bumps.
  12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I just got off the phone with my local Chain and Wire company. They supplied Fisher for a while when they couldnt find chain anywhere else. I am going down there today to see him. Not only is his price a fraction of the cost of Fishers, but I am going to get a slightly better grade chain. They use the same chain in 7.5' - 9' plows. Simple math will tell you, unless the chain is rated properly, than the larger plows COULD break it vs the 7.5. Now I just need to find some stronger U-Bolts since I bent the other ones a year or so ago....Maybe I am just being to hard on the plow????
  13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

No Gicon you are probably not being hard on the plow. You just have to understand business better. If things dont break that cant sell you new ones. Dodge almost went out of business in 70's becuase of this. Everyone still had the same Dodge Dart with a slant 6 in it. Why buy a new car when this one will never die?
  14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I broke a u-bolt as well. One nut was pulled out and one was hanging on. I caught on inspection before she actually broke plowing. I found the the chain is not balanced so only one is doing all the work.

Twisting the chain on the long side will get them balanced.
  15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Wow chain broke it must be hard to break.

Why not put more thick chain than one that came with plow.
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on the grade of the first chain it may not have been that hard to break given the right circumstances.

Thats been the plan all along I think.
  17. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

I just replaced mine with a little heavier gauge chain but this one is galvanized! I broke both u-bolts trying to replace it, so if I were you, I would have them handy in case they brake!!!